Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What to do when EP report doesn't say anything you want it to?

(6 Posts)
Buntingsmum Thu 17-Dec-15 18:02:35

My DD is going through EHCP assessment. She had a statement but her needs have completely changed from being all about verbal dyspraxia to (5 yrs later) being about a rare neurological disease that affects both her health and her thinking. I thought that the new system might be good with its focus on health. She has huge fatigue issues and a lot of pain and she finds school very hard. She's only managing mornings in school. What we want is agreement that part time attendance is OK long term and that when she is there she can work in a small (quiet) group with a TA. The EP report has come back saying she needs to be in full time and a TA can occasionally waft about in her direction. I'm sure that school don't understand the situation ( neurotic mother) and I worry that's influenced the report. Anyhow, here I am with a report that says the EHCP will not change anything to support her, just make it worse by trying to make her go there more. I don't know what to do. Should I get a private EP? Will they go into school and get influenced in the same way. Would an additional report be ignored? Does it matter what we think or will the EP rule as I suspect? How do I prove that part time school is for the best?

Flanks Thu 17-Dec-15 18:35:57

You need to get in touch with one of the professional organisations linked at the top of this page:

They are best placed to advise you in this situation in a way that will be informative.

Once in the realm of challenging a formal EP report it is crucial to be professionally advised on it. These orgs exist independently for that purpose (among others).

Buntingsmum Thu 17-Dec-15 22:01:43

Thanks for taking the time to reply Flanks. I did think 'gulp' when I read your reply, but I will try SOS!SEN or IPSEA tomorrow and see what help I can get.

ruthsmaoui77 Thu 17-Dec-15 22:37:32

No advice to offer, but I just wanted to say good luck!

Flanks Fri 18-Dec-15 06:05:51

Don't worry, it is no more daunting than what you have already done! But there is a world of difference between having a barney with a school and with someone qualified diagnostically. Everyone and their sog has an opinion on schools and their failures, but not many are qualified to do the same with a specialist so far better to ask specialists in that scenario smile

zzzzz Fri 18-Dec-15 07:50:08

Phone (and I say phone because then what is said can be said more freely) to the EP explaining your concerns. Have your last consultants letter scanned in to your device ready to email to EP and offer to do it while you are chatting.
The truth is she may or may not be able to go FT with the correct support but she certainly won't without it. Always stress that her education is your responsibility and that you want to get the best for her.

Then let the EP suggest all the things you have explained. If they are good they will be pleased to fine tune their recommendations.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: