Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Has everyone seen the consultation and filled in the questionairre for the SEND Ofsted inspections?

(7 Posts)
Ineedapiginblanket Wed 16-Dec-15 22:02:56

www.gov.uk/government/consultations/local-area-send-consultation

Hope the link works fsmile

uggerthebugger Thu 17-Dec-15 14:39:47

Yep, done it.

And anyone needing an incentive to fill it in should read this pile of shit from the Association of [LA] Children's Services Directors.

These are the people who employ the LA SEN teams. These are the people who preside over the utter fucking shambles that reigns in most LAs. These are the people who allow, connive at, and even actively promote systemic unlawful behaviour in their departments. These are the people who, left unchecked, shaft our children's futures, and trouser a six-figure salary for the privilege.

And this is what they have to say about the prospecting of being inspected:

ADCS does not believe that it is the right time to begin a new inspection in this area and believes that there are other means available to the government to quality assure these services whilst services are still in the midst of a period of intense transformation and change

Regular data monitoring, coupled with some thematic studies to bring good practice and common issues to light will, in ADCS’s view, improve outcomes for children and young people. It is unclear at present how the proposals, as they stand currently, will drive improvement, as the focus is more on compliance.

There's a reason the focus is on compliance - you gold-plated, ocean-going fucknuts. It's because you don't comply with the law.

Ineedapiginblanket Thu 17-Dec-15 15:48:30

Of course they dont want to be inspected! You are right Ugger !!

I thoroughly enjoyed filling in my consultation questionairre!

All I hope now is that there isnt a massive cover up!

knittingwithnettles Fri 18-Dec-15 18:25:41

well I thought the consultation was very inaccessible to parents and children with SEN.

I filled it in but felt quite confused as to what a lot of questions were referring to.

I think this is the wrong time to focus on compliance. I think when LAs are facing a lot of cuts it is madness to suddenly demand they do x y and z. Give them more money and RINGFENCE IT, then demand compliance. Otherwise they will spend so much money covering up what they haven't done that there won't be any left for actual interventions.

I am talking as someone who has been offered hours and hours of OT and SALT for my son in an EHCP, yet none of it is actually directed at him. Not a finger will be flexed by him or a word spoken by him under the guidance of a qualified trained OT or SALT. Yet smoke and mirrors seems to imply it is lots of "help and intervention". Certainly someone wrote a whole long report about him and what the hours he is not getting involve for the OT/SALT themselves. It is all liaison, form filling, prescence at ARs. And few clinic appointments he would have had anyway because he has dyspraxia amongst other things, no need for a EHCP to get that. On a evaluation it would look amazing how much they are doing for him, but in practice very little.

knittingwithnettles Fri 18-Dec-15 18:36:52

The thing is, if you make these inspections so complicated, how are you ever going to find out what is really going on. You will spend so much time collecting evidence and trying to make it statistically match so that you can feed it into a computer that you might not notice what is as plain as the nose on your face.

Just sample 500 families/professionals in each borough selected at random from the SEN register. Se what they say , get a feel for what it really happening on the ground.

Then devise a complex system of data collection when you know what it is important to look for, and what ARE The main issues at stake....is it the process of statuory assessment, it is the schools after child HAS an EHCP in place, is it lack of funding.

I am not a statistician but they seemed to have missed something in the way this consultation is phrased, and I suspect the evaluation will be just as unsatisfactory, because it won't be specific enough. just vague questions about how happy are you with local services, nothing you can really get your teeth into, like how happy are you with the local park (if there is one) or the local sports centre.

Ineedapiginblanket Fri 18-Dec-15 18:38:12

I see what you are saying knitting but I disagree about compliance! Actually what most people I have ever spoken to want the most is to be told the truth!

Everyone is sick of being lied to. I made comments about a lack of accountability around SEND! LA's and the government do give money to schools for children with SEND but in my authority anyway they dont seem to have any processes in place for checking how this money is spent!

RoaringFirePlease Fri 18-Dec-15 22:52:08

Thanks for the link - just filled it in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now