Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Yr 7 in trouble at school

(34 Posts)
We3KingyOfOblomovAre Wed 16-Dec-15 07:53:14

Ds1(nearly 12) is in trouble at secondary. He has a diagnosis of AS, but old school disputed this, they thought it was me with the problem!!

He has no iep , no support, no nothing.

He's had trouble since the start: not completing homework, answering back, shouting out in class, silly behaviour, making silly noises.
This all went on for years at primary and he was punished, but it never changed. It wasn't seen as ASD behaviour.

So eventually he's had tonnes of detentions and he's put 'on report' - needs to get a list each Monday from head of year, gets ticks after each lesson, staying behind to see teacher, then checks in with his mentor every afternoon.
After 4 weeks he's got better, but still shouting out and detentions continuing.
I said we can't go on with on report indefinitely, he hasn't changed that particular behaviour and we can't keep punishing him indefinitely.
She asks me to continue and support him/them.

Yesterday his 'friend' who invited him to a sleepover and then told him he wasn't welcome, sat next to him on purpose.

he was teasing him and kept touching his pencilcase(yes really) , so ds hit him with his ruler! Oh god. Why did he do that?

So now he's in isolation, because head of year emailed to say he can't be trusted to be with his peers. So now everyone will be talking about him. Great!

I've had enough. I can't deal with him anymore. I just don't know what to do with him.

huge argument with Dh. Dh said I need to step back and let school get on with it.
But the effects of what they do make him unbearable at home, shouting and swearing at me. School know this.
Dh reckons this is the first step of a slippery slide to school washing their hands of him and expelling him. I know that sounds over-dramatic, but I fear so aswell. And then guess who it would be left to to find new school/ sort it all out?? Guess right. Yep. Me!!

Any suggestions?

LIZS Wed 16-Dec-15 08:01:53

You need to be more proactive. Arrange meeting with hoy and senco to discuss the possibilities and issues such as impulsiveness and social skills. If basic disclipline strategies are not changing his behaviour they may suggest an assessment , would your dh agree with that?

We3KingyOfOblomovAre Wed 16-Dec-15 08:06:34

What assessment Liz?
EP?
Last time she came to see ds in school, (primary, year 3) post diagnosis of AS, she said she saw no ASD behaviour!!
So how would bringing her in help?

It's me who says it's not working. School seem content to continue as they are.

bbkl Wed 16-Dec-15 08:27:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Wed 16-Dec-15 09:12:05

I would be asking for a review with EP. Do the school know about the dx? Can you go back to the paed who made it. You need to be very clear to them that this is more than misbehaviour.

We3KingyOfOblomovAre Wed 16-Dec-15 09:19:16

I don't trust LEA EP. And no, he's not under any Paed, camhs or nothing because he's been discharged from everywhere.
If I asked for an assessment, I suspect even this new school would not attribute any behaviour to ASD.

PolterGoose Wed 16-Dec-15 09:46:38

It doesn't matter whether school agree with the diagnosis or not, he was diagnosed properly and that's enough. How many times have you met the Senco? Are you keeping in contact, daily if necessary. My ds is well supported but in Y7 I was in almost daily contact with ds's tutor and the Senco, now it's more like once every week, but I have to keep on top of it and the paper trail is important.

You have to forget what happened at primary and deal with the new school afresh. Your ds has a disability which is affecting his ability to learn, he has legal rights under both education and SEN law and under the Equality Act.

Contact Senco and request urgent meeting this week, if there's reluctance start looking at other schools. There are good ones out there who do what's needed, they tend to be the schools nobody wants to send their kids too (like my ds's school!) wink

I would also write to the head, reminding them that ds has an ASC, is therefore consider disabled under the Equality Act and that punishing him for behaviours which are clearly linked to his needs not being met could be considered discrimination on the grounds of disability and is a failure to make reasonable adjustments as expected under the EA.

flowers

PolterGoose Wed 16-Dec-15 09:48:14

You may have heard me say this before but when things got really bad in Y6 I think, I wrote a standard letter to every professional who'd been involved explaining that ds was close to school refusal and we needed help, you could do similar and copy in the LA SEN team saying he's close to exclusion.

We3KingyOfOblomovAre Wed 16-Dec-15 11:29:58

I know what you all say is true. But remember I fought at old school - catholic feeder school, and got nowhere for 5 years.

In the end primary school contacted SS told them I had munchausens, took both boys away for 2 months. I was arrested, accused of abuse. All charges were eventually dropped and SS concluded that the Schools concerns were "unfounded", written in a SS letter. The boys were returned. SS closed the case after 7 months, suggesting I had been, in a SS letter : "victimised by the school".

So, I promised myself I wouldn't fight with the new school. I wouldn't put myself through it again.
But what you are all suggesting, is exactly what I promised myself I wouldn't do.

ruthsmaoui77 Wed 16-Dec-15 14:25:55

Gosh! It sounds like you have had a terrible time. Sorry to hear that. In your opinion does the new secondary school recognise that your ds has ASD? If not then you do really need to get in touch with the person who diagnosed him for support. If you think this school will be as unsupportive as the old one then you may well just have to look for a more inclusive school, but you really need a follow up appointment for his ASD condition. Perhaps the G.P could help. Your son sounds very like my 9 year old DS. He also has ASD. Best wishes xx

We3KingyOfOblomovAre Wed 16-Dec-15 14:51:34

Thank you everyone.
I just don't know what to do. I don't know if it's worth fighting.

LIZS Wed 16-Dec-15 15:00:30

If his life is going to be miserable otherwise I really don't think you have much choice, although I understand your reluctance. It doesn't have to be confrontational. Did you communicate with senco and hoy about his diagnosis when he started y7. You may be pleasantly surprised once you take the initiative. Could your gp re refer you to the paed for a review?

PolterGoose Wed 16-Dec-15 15:01:38

What choice is there?

You have to advocate for him, it doesn't have to be a fight.

Runningtokeepstill Wed 16-Dec-15 15:05:13

Sorry, but from what you've said, you may not have much choice but to fight. You've said that you think your ds's school is preparing to go down the "naughty" child/exclusions route, at which stage, as you said, you'd need to get involved in alternatives.

If they aren't going down the exclusion route but are trying to punish your ds to make him behave like "everyone else" then it won't work and explosions at home will continue and very likely increase (plus he still won't be behaving in the way they want). And your son's self esteem must be at rock bottom.

I know you feel at rock bottom too and what happened at primary school is truly shocking and would make anyone want to back off. You have my complete admiration for coping with all that.

One thing in your favour is that end of term is nigh, which gives you and your ds a bit of breathing space. Could you contact school and request a meeting in the new year? If humanly possible I'd find someone to go with you. And request information from whoever diagnosed ds in the first place and ask your GP for re-referrals for support as other posters have suggested.

ruthsmaoui77 Wed 16-Dec-15 15:06:47

You have to get the school to recognise his special educational needs so they can meet them, otherwise your ds will carry on as he is, struggling and will just be punished for his behaviour. You know from past experience that school sanctions and I am sure home sanctions are not enough to control his 'behaviour', that is because he needs more support. You have no choice really. This won't get better by itself. Sorry if that is not what you want to hear. You could get a follow up appointment for his ASD and then apply for a different school, with a fresh start. Best wishes.

clangermum Wed 16-Dec-15 15:14:32

You've had a terrible experience and I can understand the reluctance to not go through it all again. Can someone else help you advocate e.g. parent partnership, or someone from BAS, or even Mencap? They have family liaison officers and cover ASD (at least locally to us they do). Then at least you'd have a professional with you. They can be very supportive, and they are not part of the school. It just takes a chat on the phone, judging you is the last thing they will do, then maybe you could chose the person you feel most comfortable with to take forward as a parent supporter. Discuss with them how to approach school - it will take the load off you. They will probably accompany you to meetings. His diagnosis is real and as others have said, it's illegal to ignore it in school. If you get nowhere, the school's not for you, and you'll at least know how to sound out alternatives. Best of luck!

clangermum Wed 16-Dec-15 15:15:02

Sorry, I meant NAS, not BAS

Ineedapiginblanket Wed 16-Dec-15 15:41:33

I agree with what the others have said, I also think it would be helpful to go back to your GP and get a re referral to a paediatrician or camhs!

Just because it really helps to have a professional onside if school are not seeing the Asd!

You and your Ds should have really had some support although it is common to diagnose and discharge.

What happened to you before was horrendous, any parents worst nightmare but you still need to advocate for your boy or he will get permenantly excluded! The school may say they are happy but trust me they will be recording all these incidents and one day they could easily decide they have had enough.

Good luck flowers

We3KingyOfOblomovAre Wed 16-Dec-15 16:18:09

Thanks for your responses.
Head of year rings me weekly. I have met senco twice, both initiated by me.

I need to give this some thought.
I will be guided by him. wait to see what happened today.

Maybe I should send an email making some of your points and ask them to document every single incident and every single action They have taken, in a diary form.
This would force them to detail it to date. Provide me with evidence to escalate?

bbkl Wed 16-Dec-15 16:26:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

We3KingyOfOblomovAre Wed 16-Dec-15 17:26:59

I spoke to dr who diagnosed him (in 2011 by camhs) and also his Paed (dis-charged a year ago) in the last 6 months, re the school allegation / ongoing SS case.

My GP is lovely. She was horrified by the whole case last year. I could go to her to ask for re-referral back to Paed and camhs.

Ineedapiginblanket Wed 16-Dec-15 18:10:47

I think going back to the GP is a great idea, she sounds helpful and it would be good to let her know that things are rocky for your Ds at school!

Dipankrispaneven Thu 17-Dec-15 00:58:04

I think you need to ask the school to consider specifically why detentions aren't working, and suggest that they contact the ASD advisory service to come and see him and suggest strategies. Emphasise that (a) punishing him for something that is the effect of his disability is discrimination and (b) if they keep punishing him and escalating the punishment and it still doesn't work, it suggests that whatever they are doing is not meeting his special educational needs and they need more advice to ensure that they do.

Ineedapiginblanket Thu 17-Dec-15 08:27:55

Great advice Dip!

We3KingyOfOblomovAre Thu 17-Dec-15 14:48:37

Yes indeed, thank you dip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now