Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is this ADHD/ADD?

(10 Posts)
energyfreezone Tue 15-Dec-15 22:15:21

DS is 11.5 years. He is a lovely bright, polite, boy. He has a brilliant personality and is a character. He loves sport and is popular at school. We love him to bits but he has been hard work from time to time. As a toddler was very very whingey and over sensitive to lots of things. I took him for treatment for a couple of years for "retained reflexes" and processing disorder.

Fast forward through the years, school reports are always "cannot stay on task, easily distracted, forgets instructions". He is usually around average, with a couple of subjects slightly below and a couple slightly above. They agree he could do better at school and put more effort in-but I'm not sure if he is capable....

He is end of Summer born and I feel perhaps slightly immature on top of that so probably 1.5-2 years behind some of his peers.

He has a tendency to be "annoying". I have to repeat myself so often, I sometimes get a sore throat. He will flop around giggling and basically act like a 4 year old sometimes. He has never liked being kissed or touched much although he will hug me sometimes and doesn't get massively upset if he has to hug someone (will often willingly hug friends/relations etc.)

When he is sitting at the table, he CANNOT stop fiddling with things, swinging on his chair, pushing the chair next to him backwards and forwards. Watching TV, he will never just sit. He flops and lies upside down, constantly swings his legs around-tonight he was digging his toes inside my slipper and lying all over me, then managed to knock me with his arm and I bit my tongue...watching a film is so frustrating....If I tell him to go upstairs and get ready for bed, I end up repeating it about 6 times-just walking out of the room, he gets so distracted by every little thing. I have to physically go up to him and take things out of his hands and push him up the stairs. When he is talking he will sometimes walk round and round the kitchen island constantly making me feel dizzy till I say "please stop" but he says it helps him concentrate....

In comparison, his cousins who are the same age and a year older just go straight upstairs, can organise themselves and just get on with it.

I recently read about the signs of Inattentive ADD and DH said "that is DS exactly". Because he is always kind of in the middle at school, I think that he has flown under the radar. I just wonder know if should have some kind of assessment. My gut feeling is something is not quite right....I just want to help him if there is something. If not, I would be happy too and just accept that maybe he is a bit quirkysmile.

Reading the above, I know a lot of it sounds normal for children/boys(!) but I haven't gone into massive detail or this would be a much longer post!

ruthsmaoui77 Tue 15-Dec-15 22:28:05

He sound just like my 9 year old son. He has high functioning autism but I also think he has Adhd too. What is he like in school? Have they raised any concerns?

energyfreezone Tue 15-Dec-15 22:37:50

School have not raised any concerns apart from the comments in his reports about being easily distracted etc. Every single report he has had has said the same, and over the years, it's only been "he is a little behind, do a bit of extra work at home".

I just don't know what to think, I just have a nagging doubt and feel like I would be failing him if I keep ignoring it-I can see family members almost roll their eyes at me but they don't live with him and see how he is all the time at home. They do experience some aspects but MIL says "he'll grow out of it, he is a boy".....[hmmm]

energyfreezone Wed 16-Dec-15 16:13:42

ChocolateJam Wed 16-Dec-15 16:28:18

Sounds like ADD to me, my DD has it too. Have him assessed.

ruthsmaoui77 Wed 16-Dec-15 17:55:30

I agree, ask your G.P to refer him to a paed. The extra support he could get in school would really help. Good Luck

energyfreezone Wed 16-Dec-15 18:42:57

We were out today for coffee and he started messing with the plug that the Christmas lights were plugged into. He was pulling it in and out slightly so the lights would flash, he thought it was great [hmmm]. I told him to stop straight away and he did but then starting wobbling the table as it was wonky-my coffee started sloshing around in my cup-I had to ask him to stop 3 times.

After that, he was fine and we had a nice chat for the rest of the time so I start thinking "oh he's fine, just a bit high spirited".....

A friend of mine has given me details of a very good lady that her son saw, she did an incredibly detailed report. However, I'm worried he wil totally freak out and I'm not sure it will do his self esteem any good. He had to have a dyslexia test last year which turned out to be negative but he cried for ages about it and kept shouting "there's nothing wrong with me!!". He was so cross and upset. He's at the age now where he doesn't want to be "different" sad

rhetorician Sun 20-Dec-15 23:01:02

sounds very like my dd1 (almost 7) and she is being assessed for ADD. She is super too, and has the same issues at school - I think she is way brighter than anyone has realised, not least because she is working with about 30% of the focus of the other kids. I love her to bits, but she is immensely frustrating to parent, and I often wish that I had more patience with her. Your coffee experience is interesting - I find DD1 much more likely to focus if she's 1:1. Good luck!

Pythonesque Mon 21-Dec-15 06:10:43

I think when you are getting assessments done you have to think very carefully about how you "sell" them to your child. Perhaps see if you can come up with phrases that help frame it as a positive process. Not "see if there is anything wrong" but finding out if there are things we should do differently, suspecting you can do even better at school if we know how you learn best, or something.

Good luck.
(I've worried about inattentive ADD for years with my son, now 10, this term's report has a very clear theme of teacher's recognising he is underachieving most of the time because though he can do brilliant work they only see it now and then. Working on getting some answers at present but it is a slow process!)

Boomingmarvellous Mon 21-Dec-15 10:10:15

It's worthwhile trying to cut out all colourings and artificial additives in foods and reduce sugar intake. I would go for an assessment as knowing he has a condition like this he could learn better coping strategies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now