Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

And it's a hat trick!

(8 Posts)
PandasRock Mon 14-Dec-15 14:16:22

Ds had his ADOS this morning - child number 3, but the first ADOS I've been through with any of them.

He performed as we expected - minimally responsive, but interested and did slightly warm up.

I thought we'd end up with another 'hmm, borderline, let's wait and see' verdict, as he did at least join in with some of the activities, but the end result (given in the day, another surprise!) was scoring in the moderate range for autism.

It's the right result for ds, and I'm glad we've managed it well before he starts school - he's 3.4, and off into reception next September. He will be fine, as long as school recognise he has difficulties, even if he doesn't always present with them (currently cognitively ok, but moderate-extreme social issues, although little by way of behavioural issues (this cou,d be because he is already in an 'autism household')). Whether school will recognise this is another question, as they aren't great with dd2, but we can always hope!

PolterGoose Mon 14-Dec-15 14:55:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PandasRock Mon 14-Dec-15 15:02:51

The irony is that ds is (currently -he's only 3, and not yet in any outside school/care) my least affected/closest to NT, yet his has been the easiest dx to obtain confused

It's a funny, mixed-up world grin

PolterGoose Mon 14-Dec-15 15:44:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Mon 14-Dec-15 16:03:25

Well done. One less thing to have to do later.

PandasRock Mon 14-Dec-15 16:44:12

Thanks, zzzzz. We're hoping that arriving with a dx might see different handling from the school - with dd2 they had very much formed the opinion she isn't on the spectrum, and so are continuing to more or less ignore her dx as it doesn't fit with what they think of her. Hopefully, if they see the dx before they see ds, they won't have already been confused by his atypical presentation (ie, doesn't fit general societal expectations of ASD) and will pay a bit more attention. That's the theory, anyway!

Ineedapiginblanket Mon 14-Dec-15 17:44:52

Its good to know one way or the other pandas. I hope the school take it on board and support him and your Dd.

Good luck flowers

StarOfLight Wed 16-Dec-15 11:07:59

Good luck Panda. And well done. I think it is easier to get these things done before school 'get in the way' tbh.

Hope the school are sensible about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now