Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

LA EOTAS tutor talking of escalation to TAC

(9 Posts)
KeepOnKeepingOn1 Thu 10-Dec-15 16:27:27

Hi, me again blush

Today has been the 6th visit from an LA tutor. DS1 will not meet him and refuses to leave his room. I consider post it note communication to be progress but the tutor wants more, sooner. He keeps 'threatening' escalation because he is merely going on trust and has never actually seen DS1.

What escalation? What do I need to do?

DS1 has ASD and a statement, was at ss until Jan/Feb but has been out of school since. LA has agreed to fund alternative ss but DS1 won't engage at all.

TIA

celestialgin Thu 10-Dec-15 16:35:56

What are his reasons for wanting more from ds than post it notes? What is he expecting to achieve?

I think tutors can do this as a defence mechanism when they are feeling out of their depth. The child won't engage, so they attempt to escalate things and involve other agencies to cover themselves. The danger of moving too quickly is that it can exacerbate the anxiety of course.

Presumably he will have a line manager who you can speak to and discuss the threats of escalation. What is the tutor's experience of working with children with ASD for example?

StarOfLight Thu 10-Dec-15 16:57:24

The tutor is threatening escalation?

What to do?

Ignore. Laugh when he can't see you. Put in a formal complaint if these threats are made in earshot of your ds.

StarOfLight Thu 10-Dec-15 17:00:38

Tutor is probably secretly charged with getting your ds back to school in a set timeframe. Perhaps he considers himself an expert at this?

Who knows.

But do ignore threats. When you have something concrete then you know what you are working with.

TACs is hardly an escalation and I cannot see for one second how that can make the blindest difference.

A CAF might be called but again, like the TAC you have to agree to it voluntarily.

Make sure you get in writing somehow, how much progress you consider has been made and that you hope they are able to continue to work with you to ensure there is no regression.

PolterGoose Thu 10-Dec-15 17:02:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Thu 10-Dec-15 17:03:26

bbkl Thu 10-Dec-15 17:14:29

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Thu 10-Dec-15 17:37:45

Thanks flowers feeling rather fragile atm

It is a tick box safeguarding thing. Communication is a huge problem. Haven't communicated with sen case worker since June. EOTAS only became involved in November after months of chasing and threat of formal complaint. The tutor is OK but old school - he keeps going on about the change in case load from pregnant schoolgirls to complex SEN hmm and just wants to cover his arse. He relates to his line manager - who presumably relates to sen caseworker but who knows??

I remember claws problems but her DS was much younger (I think about 8) and he didn't have a statement (wasn't it NIL) or agreed ss placement iirc.

Star and Polter - we have a lovely place here with an orchard with a fire pit and logs to sit on in the middle of a country estate and you and yours are welcome to visit at any time (we have no neighbours!!)**

**guests may be required to tell LA and/or EOTAS staff to fuck off grin

PolterGoose Thu 10-Dec-15 17:42:22

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now