Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

high vis vest?!

(5 Posts)
beanie8289 Wed 02-Dec-15 10:46:16

i recently found out my autistic son who attends a mainstream primary school is made to wear a high vis vest at all times. this is despite the fact that he has a one to one at all times. I told the school i didnt want him in it... his one to one said he needs it, and his teacher said that if i choose for him not to wear it that i understand, he is more at risk of danger. i would just like peoples views on this, as i wanted my son to go to a mainstream school to fit in and be treated as all the other kids are, and to me this is segregating him, and i dont know whether im just being awkward, or if im right? my son doesnt mind wearing it, but i dont want it to become the norm for him

ouryve Wed 02-Dec-15 10:49:44

It is segregation and while he might not mind, the different treatment will be noted by other kids.

I'm a fan of distinctive brightly coloured coats. Ds1 has always been a fan of orange.

Stradbroke Wed 02-Dec-15 15:21:00

Oh god I had this. DD was in reception and wore it in the dining hall as she would wander off. I told them I didn't want it. It drew attention to her as being different. They immediately stopped.

Stick to your guns. He should not be wearing this.

BlackeyedSusan Fri 04-Dec-15 23:39:57

should not be used for singling out children.

anyway, I would like to see them try with ds. I can instigate an instant meltdown by trying to make him wear a high vis jacket. it is truely spectacular. [irrelevent i know]

2boysnamedR Fri 04-Dec-15 23:54:19

It happens at my school. They take Sen very seriously.. hmm and are currently being eyeballed by the even crapper la

Sounds like a lovely excuse to take their eye off the DC personally but I'm very cynical

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now