Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

4.5yo possible SPD help please

(4 Posts)
RecentNameChangeThanksToHack Sun 29-Nov-15 10:49:32

Sorry I initially posted this in the wrong SN section.

Dear mumsnetters

Apologies in advance for the length of this post but I feel incredibly lost and was hoping for some practical advice.

My 4.5yo has always been 'more than' and had some tactile sensory issues but these are now impacting our day to day life. It's revved up since starting school and, despite having gone to preschool in the room next door for nearly 2 years, she's having numerous meltdowns now before and after school. We've raised the issue with her teacher but been told she's fine when at school- however, I'm now beginning to realise it's quite common for kids with sensory issues to hold it all together at school and then lose it when they feel safe at home.

We've an initial paedatric assessment in a week (have gone privately to speed things up). However, it's got to the point that each day is a nightmare - we can barely get DD1 out the house and I'm well aware that we have an incredibly long road ahead. I don't think there are any other red flags for issues other than SPD but obviously I'm not an expert and open minded...

In the meantime I need to take action with the school - who so far are letting us down. As a side point I feel we may have chosen the wrong school - we went private due to small classes which I felt would suit her sensitive nature but now I feel the whole environment may just be too pressured for her - though then again who knows - it could just be school generally as she's never been in another setting. We are considering these options but this is again further down the line given jumping ship to a wrong school could be catastrophic for her.

In the meantime please could anyone help with my questions ...

1 what happens after paedatric assessment?
2 we are lucky enough to have a specialist Childrens sensory integration therapy center on our doorstep. Is it worth getting an assessment for this started now? Whatever the paediatrician says she definitely has sensory issues even if it is part of a bigger issue.
3 we are going to schedule a meeting with the head of school to discuss our concerns. Any words of advice? I'm not even sure what I'm asking for .... But her class teacher hasn't been much help at all
4 any words of advice for getting few the next few days? DD1 just having meltdowns with any transition . I'm not sure how I'm even going to get her to school tomorrow

Thanks so much in advance. I'm feeling very overwhelmed at the moment.

PolterGoose Sun 29-Nov-15 11:24:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RecentNameChangeThanksToHack Tue 01-Dec-15 08:16:56

Thanks so so so much and sorry for the delay.

DD1s behaviour is almost deteriorating before my eyes so haven't had chance to get online. Took her to dr yesterday to rule out anything medical and she has an ear infection and very sore throat so antibiotics now started. She never complains of pain ... Not sure if related to possible spd... I've noticed in past that her symptoms flare up when ill with ear infections (she suffers with recurrent ones). Does you find the same?

Thanks again so mch

PolterGoose Tue 01-Dec-15 12:18:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now