Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Universal credit and Dla

(14 Posts)
BeautifulLiar Fri 27-Nov-15 12:03:01

What's going to change?

Apparently they are getting rid of middle rate care so does that mean that people who currently get it will see a big drop in income? So stressed now I've read this sad

PolterGoose Fri 27-Nov-15 12:58:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeautifulLiar Fri 27-Nov-15 13:15:17

I've got rid of all the tabs now but does it come up on google at all?

I think it said there will only be higher or lower rate and those on lower rate will be expected to find full time work etc

PolterGoose Fri 27-Nov-15 13:27:43

BeautifulLiar Fri 27-Nov-15 13:55:13

It definitely said DLA, but then apparently DLA isn't part of universal credit, so that makes no sense?!

chocadd1ct Fri 27-Nov-15 14:37:17

I think you are confused. DLA used to be for adults and children and from 16 pip replaces dla. pip has only 2 care components (standard and enhanced which are probably similarish to middle and high rate care) but no low rate care.

pip and DLA has noting to do with income whatsoever.

BeautifulLiar Fri 27-Nov-15 14:43:11

Universal Credit: Disabled people 'to lose out' - www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19966370

I found this, although it is dated 2012 and isn't very clear... hopefully I've got it wrong though - I'm definitely no expert on this!!

PolterGoose Fri 27-Nov-15 14:58:49

BeautifulLiar Fri 27-Nov-15 15:01:50

Thank you - I do have form for worrying about things that may or may not happen in 5 years! Right, time to calm down and do the school run!

BeautifulLiar Sun 29-Nov-15 05:45:17

www.cafamily.org.uk/know-your-rights/benefits-and-tax-credits/universal-credit/

Can't sleep and have ended up finding lots of sources that say that under universal credit there will only be a high rate and a low rate disabled element. I'm not sure if this replaces DLA itself (don't think so) or the disability element of tax credits.

chocadd1ct Sun 29-Nov-15 07:36:49

that has always been the case. there is a tax credit disability element and you get extra tax credits (disability element for Middle rate DLA) And severe disability element for high rate DLA. this is not DLA itself but extra tax credits you get depending on income and DLA award. reading the link this will not change. the link doesn't talk about DLA as such. it is actually quite clear in the link. stop worrying, OP wink

BeautifulLiar Sun 29-Nov-15 10:45:42

But this reduces the disability element by quite a bit each week doesn't it? I just don't want to get used to a certain amount only to have it reduced two years later!! God I am a worrier!

LyndaNotLinda Sun 29-Nov-15 11:10:50

It doesn't affect DLA but it does affect the amount of tax credits you're eligible for if you have a child who doesn't get the HRC element of DLA.

chocadd1ct Sun 29-Nov-15 11:12:27

it does not say in the article. I really would not worry about getting used to money and losing it again. so much can happen in 2 years (your ds's needs may change and with it the DLA award), you can lose your job, accident, illness. I have had all these this year and nothing is the same anymore despite no change with DLA... I really think you worry too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now