Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I'm broken, help me put myself back together

(19 Posts)
bbkl Fri 27-Nov-15 11:37:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OneInEight Fri 27-Nov-15 12:05:21

I have no words but flowers and thinking of you and your dd.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 27-Nov-15 12:07:32

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this sad

I have no words of wisdom because Dd3 has no verbal communication skills with regard to emotions or feelings either.

flowers

Ineedmorepatience Fri 27-Nov-15 12:10:44

What I can say though is that none of this is your fault! It is Asd doing this not your family! All you can ever do is your best which is what you have been doing all along and all any of us can do.

Be kind to yourself.

PolterGoose Fri 27-Nov-15 12:25:50

bbkl Fri 27-Nov-15 13:31:06

Ineedmorepatience Fri 27-Nov-15 13:52:42

We also bought Starving the Anxiety Gremlin which Dd3has refused to look at so far but we are going to attempt to use it to teach some emotional vocab at least!

ChowNowBrownCow Fri 27-Nov-15 15:51:49

I feel for you, it's heart breaking to see a child in this situation. My niece was the same and became fixated on killing herself. She spent the best part of 2 years in hospital. My brother and his wife went to hell and back watching there baby (14) repeatedly attempt suicide. You must believe that it is nobody's fault! It is part teenager / large part asd. Unfortunately staff in hospitals say things to teens as if they are adult enough to understand/cope, just because they are looking grown up. You must try and get to the said Drs before they speak to your dd. repeat repeat repeat that she is sensitive, literal, and has difficulty communicating her true feelings SHE HAS ASD! Often my brother would say "can I have a quiet word outside please". She needs treating with kid gloves because she is sick. Don't assume they have read her notes! You will need good support from friends and family, it's important to try and recharge your batteries as this will not go away overnight and you need all the strength you can muster. I will contact my brother who lives overseas and ask what help they got from nhs chams etc whilst he lived here. I will get back to you ASAP.
Ps. Niece is now 18 , has a job in a hair salon, is doing ok. She still struggles but she's come through the worse I believe as she is maturing and accepting who she is. We all believed she wouldn't make it to 15! There is a light at the end of the tunnel, it sometimes can't be seen, but it is there.flowers.

Youarentkiddingme Sat 28-Nov-15 09:03:24

flowers

It's so tough when people just don't 'get' the inability to explain and define emotions.
Have the Drs offered any support or suggestions to further help your DD can access than she is already receiving?

onlyoneboot Sat 28-Nov-15 09:18:40

flowers bbkl so sorry this has happened, not sure I can offer any helpful advice apart from be gentle on yourself, you can and will go on so try and find small ways to conserve energy.

bbkl Sat 28-Nov-15 10:21:26

Youarentkiddingme Sat 28-Nov-15 10:44:56

flowers I'm so sorry she seems to be falling through the cracks of services available. I hope her team can come up with something. If they can't provide it they'll have to buy in services elsewhere. It maybe worth prompting them towards this idea?

And keep talking to us here. We can at least support you through this tough time.

bbkl Mon 30-Nov-15 11:49:59

PolterGoose Mon 30-Nov-15 12:15:55

Obs2015 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:13:34

Please be kind to yourself. Accept that there isn't the support, that many of our children fall through the cracks, but that you are doing your best, in difficult circumstances. Be proud of that, not ashamed.

Liliuk Thu 03-Dec-15 00:06:05

So sorry to hear that. I feel for you and Your dd. What about perhaps talking to a behavioural psychologist (such as an ABA consultant), they tend to tackle self injurious behaviour in children with ASD. They may have contacts at CAMHS. Not sure how they would treat suicide attempt but worth a try maybe? flowers

bbkl Thu 03-Dec-15 09:57:38

Liliuk Thu 03-Dec-15 12:59:02

I am no expert but a behavioural psychologist (/ABA consultant) should look into antecedent, response and cause of behaviour (any undesirable behaviour) and set a plan to try and address it. For ex, and I know it is very different from you, but my son was biting his hand hard, and they put in place a plan to redirect to a non injurious behaviour, fulfilling the same function as biting hand.
anyway I am not sure it is right, but worth a try; I have found ABA psychologists to be so knowledgeable about autism and how to overcome challenges.
I would say the easiest thing to do is to email and see if they can help, but most likely to be private and costly. You will find a list of accredited consultant in the uk on bacb.com. Otherwise you can try contact a www.childautism.org.uk, non profit organisation that mostly deal with arranging ABA programs I think, but may be able to advise wheater seeing a consultant could help. Take care.

Liliuk Thu 03-Dec-15 13:01:54

Oh, just a thought. There may be some consultant reading, so maybe put a post in title saying. Would ABA help....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now