Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

support at after school clubs

(17 Posts)
zzzzz Thu 26-Nov-15 13:14:49

ds1 has asked if he can do an after school club. I've asked school if he can and they are happy for him to attend if I go with him. smile

I think it would be a much more useful experience in lots of ways if he could go by himself. How do I go about finding someone suitable to go with him???

It's an art club and the truth is he is unlikely to be able to do much of it but he wants to and for us this is progress.

I would really love to have the time with his twin brother as we never get any 1:1 time alone and would really like NOT to be in the club because my dd also goes and it is the only thing she does "alone" so is fostering independence.

Any ideas how this can be managed?

StarfrightMcFangsie Thu 26-Nov-15 13:51:53

Technically (and legally) his support should be provided by the school.

That is what the Pupil Premium Grant money is for.

Children with disabilities should have the same opportunity to participate in school life as those without.

If you want to pay, could you ask if any of the TAs do babysitting and then give them the hourly rate to stay behind?

Sirzy Thu 26-Nov-15 13:55:51

Would a TA do it? When I was working as a 1-1 ta a few times I stayed to support the child at after school clubs.

zzzzz Thu 26-Nov-15 13:57:00

They've asked all the TAs and no one is free. I thought they were supposed to too. sad Not that it really matters because they wouldn't be able to sort it out in time anyway, but I wish they had been a bit more transparent. Still good to be aware.

StarfrightMcFangsie Thu 26-Nov-15 14:06:04

Again, resourcing issues doesn't constitute a reason to break the law.

You could write a letter!? You can be as polite as can be. Evidence that they aren't supporting a child to access an activity as they are supposed to be might be met with evidence that they will do from next week!?

StarfrightMcFangsie Thu 26-Nov-15 14:08:27

It's not a grey area. It is the law.

However, enforcement is a grey area. If they don't comply, who is gonna make them iyswim?

Technically you can take them to Disability Discrimination Tribunal and win but I am guessing that too much is going right in the placement for you to ever consider that, and besides once you have, no-one in their right mind would keep their child at the school.

zzzzz Thu 26-Nov-15 14:12:50

I like them star I wouldn't do that simply because they have supported my children so beautifully and I have seen what they work so hard to create and it is very good. Email is a good idea though as they might have a work around.
As always TAC is in a few weeks so it might be useful if they can't help in a way......hmmmmmmmm

StarfrightMcFangsie Thu 26-Nov-15 14:52:56

Even the best schools are suffering from the climate of cuts and having to achieve the impossible without the resources.

DS school is great too, but I do find myself overwhelmingly grateful for small things that I shouldn't be. It becomes ingrained.

I found myself immensely grateful that a bus stopped at a bus stop today because it was only me waiting there. I felt I ought to have walked to a bus stop with more people so as to not waste the drivers time hmm.

PolterGoose Thu 26-Nov-15 15:04:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Thu 26-Nov-15 16:03:41

I get moments like that ALL the time star I think for me it's that I don't feel if it's just me, then I need help grin. Ridiculous!

I'm not sure about the club. I need to think

zzzzz Thu 26-Nov-15 16:04:56

Thanks polt that looks worth a readflowers

PolterGoose Thu 26-Nov-15 16:06:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Thu 26-Nov-15 16:14:44

There are only 3 more sessions so it might be too late for this one. I asked if we could have the clubs timetable for next term.....I got the feeling that wasn't what they were hoping to hear😟

signandsingcarols Thu 26-Nov-15 20:20:39

i seem to think that if the school 'should' be funding it then aiming high payments for leisure activities would not fund... seem to remember that was the case for ds...

StarfrightMcFangsie Thu 26-Nov-15 20:24:49

If it is external provider aiming high might!? If a school run thing then not, but it helps to look astonished when you inform the school that aiming high had said it is school's legal duty to support him to attend!?

Youarentkiddingme Fri 27-Nov-15 06:58:41

I'm not sure if it's helpful but when I spoke to ipsea the other day day they said if a school is offering enrichment activities they have to be available to all pupils. That they cannot pick and chose attends. They quoted the equality act/DDA.
I understand why you don't want to use that - I've held back from using it so far in what I'm trying to sort. It certainly feels like a huge can of worms to open.

I think a simple letter confirming its the school offering the extra club and it's available to all students should get them to sit up and think.

How wonderful your DS1 has asked to join though. smile

zzzzz Fri 27-Nov-15 08:31:29

Yes it's great he wants to do it. I don't think he will enjoy it though as art isn't really his thing..... Difficult

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now