Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADHD and supplements - advice please!

(6 Posts)
T1gerlilly Wed 25-Nov-15 12:18:15

Our 12 year old has just been diagnosed with ADHD and we're waiting to see the peadiatric ADHD team to look at treatment. In the meantime, I want to start him on vitamin supplements as I've read they can be really helpful. Omega, magnesium, B vitamins and zinc seem to be what's recommended. I've seen some tablets on the internet which are a combination of ingredients, specifically designed to help with brain function and ADHD symptoms and are suitable for children. That would be easiest, if they're any good, but I don't know anything about the company - BrainSmart Brain Supplements. They're quite expensive and I'm uneasy about giving my child tablets produced by a company that I know nothing about.

Can anyone give me advice as to which supplements work best and whether it's best to get a combined tablet or buy them separately?

Has anyone heard of BrainSmart? If they're OK, a specifically designed treatment seems sensible. Thanks for you help!

PhilPhilConnors Wed 25-Nov-15 12:19:53

I was told that magnesium is best transdermally, as a spray or flakes to put in the bath.
I don't know about brain smart supplements though sorry.

Ooogetyooo Wed 25-Nov-15 12:26:02

We tried Vegepa fish oil capsules for a couple of years but I can't say I saw much difference in behaviour. Although undoubtedly he has a robust immune system. We just try to eat more fish these days. The only thing that has been a massive help is his medication.

PolterGoose Wed 25-Nov-15 12:40:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Wed 25-Nov-15 13:14:39

We use Epsom salts in the bath and see a marked improvement (magnesium absorbed through skin). A small tub is about a quid. Just buy one at boots (behind the counter they might need to order it) if it works you'll know pretty much in a few days.

T1gerlilly Wed 25-Nov-15 15:07:07

Thanks so much for your replies. They are really helpful. I think I'll start with omega 3 and epsom salts and see how we get on.

The comment about medication was helpful too. I think we'll probably go down that route but want to try other things while we're waiting for our referral to come through.

I'm doing so much research at the moment my head is spinning but it's helping with the new parenting. I just wish we'd done it earlier which would have made the transition to high school easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now