Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Moving from private to state

(5 Posts)
Catanddogmake6 Tue 24-Nov-15 14:45:22

I was wondering whether anyone could help me. DD has severe language delay and also ADHD (but bright) and is currently Yr3 in mainstream private school with a 1 to 1. I think her current school are about to suggest "this is not the right place for her" although she is keeping up with the work. Having become frustrated at the mainstream private sector, I think we would consider moving her to the very good local state school with specialist unit. However, I am stuck about how we go about it. She is not statemented, although we have reams of reports, so how would we try and get her into the local primary with specialist unit? When I discussed this with the local council, a couple of years ago, they said they would offer a place at any school they could find a space and then work out what she needed. Obviously we want to work out where and what she needs, make sure it's in place and then move her. I'm sorry if this is obvious but I'm a bit stuck. Thanks in advance.

madwomanbackintheattic Tue 24-Nov-15 15:01:43

Have her paediatrician write to the LEA, in tandem with you calling the school you have in mind and asking them about entry procedures. If you haven't actually visited the school or unit, that would be my next plan, because you might take one look at it and realize that your dd would not fit in. Make sure you are fighting for the right thing.

It is often easier to get places out of round in primary schools, but unlikely there will be a magic specialist unit place she could slot into as parents will have been fighting for those places since school entry. But if you have all of the paed reports, SLT reports, and school reports from her current setting, it's a good base to start asking the questions. I'm not sure how it works in a private setting, but I assume you also have three years worth of IEP/ IPP or similar. All of this evidence will be helpful for assessment and to see whether the specialist unit is necessary, or if your dd would be better placed in a mainstream classroom with some 1-1 as she is currently. This may take some time to sort out, and is unlikely to be perfectly in place when she is moved, however long you leave it.

Find out who your local Area Inclusion Officer (or whatever they are called locally) is on the EA, and call them. They 'may' come out and visit the current setting, but it very much depends on local working procedures (I have had one that did). Discuss with them the local assessment procedures and work to get the ball rolling.

Good luck anyway.

zzzzz Tue 24-Nov-15 16:33:45

I've done it twice though into school not a unit.

For next term, summer or September?

Catanddogmake6 Tue 24-Nov-15 16:44:06

Thank you madwoman. Good advice. Think mainstream school with 1 to 1 would be sufficient. Academically she's doing well at the moment - it's more the general day to day bit, paying attention, participating in netball, sitting through long assemblies and Carol concerts etc. It's just we have 2 local primaries - one with a specialist unit and one without. I think she'd be better in the mainstream section of the one with the unit as whole school better equipped to deal with SEN.

Zzz - not sure. Depends how badly the meeting on Monday goes. I think into a school is all we are trying to do. I would just prefer the school that has the unit.

zzzzz Tue 24-Nov-15 18:13:24

ok so you can follow the standard entry procedure for school.

Phone school ask if they have a place in year three
If no find another school or ask if they are likely to have one in a terms time (or whatever)
If yes ask to come and look round and meet the senco (explain additional need)
Go and look round (I would look round three if possible but two if that's all there is)
If you decide to go ahead go on line and put in an "in year application" they will mail/send a letter when they have shuffled their paper work (about a week to a 14 days).
Phone school and arrange start date.

As far as the EHCP (replaces statement) goes she may just be managed in school. They have funding for 15 hours and access to significantly more before they need to get an EHCP (eg my ds had full time 1:1TA, SALT, EP, OT, CIT plus various nurture groups and "kit" with no dx or EHCP). I would apply myself though if you think she is going to need it as they like to refuse you a few times. You need all your reports and just put in a request by email and they send you a load of forms to fill out and you return them with all your "evidence".

Ds is INFINITELY better off in his present school. He is loved and wanted their and they try very hard to help him and me. The HT told me when he started that he was part of their family and they were really happy to have him and so far I think they really really mean it smile. On the whole the school experience is gentler and difference is more accepted. No one has to pretend that they aren't who they are and many children wriggle through assembly. For example my ds leaves during the singing and comes back when he can manage again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now