Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Strategies/things to stop ASD ds from touching other kids at circle time

(6 Posts)
Mrbrowncanmoo Tue 24-Nov-15 10:30:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ruthsmaoui77 Tue 24-Nov-15 10:45:02

Can he have something soft or tactile to touch and play with? Like a squishy ball or a stretchy man or even a soft toy with fur (as he likes to touch hair). Also when my son was that age the school gave him a special seat to sit on that he could rub on (it has plastic bubbles) sorry I haven't explained that very well. Also he could be given a little more space to make the touching less physically possible - I don't mean keep him completely away from the others but just give him a little more more space. It might be an idea to have him sit nearer the TA or teacher. He sounds just like my little one was at that age was still is at times. Good luck x

PolterGoose Tue 24-Nov-15 19:25:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Wed 25-Nov-15 10:10:05

Definitely sensory. I was glad when DS2 moved up the school and circle time was a thing of the past.

I and others have experienced huge delay in getting a wobble cushion or fiddle toys for their DC. Some schools will only do this with OT recommendation. My current senco did not understand proprioception and so did not understand the difference made by a wobble cushion and so didn't rush to get one until the OT provided the school with information.

DS2 was lucky in that he was mostly over-tactile with another DC who was his 'best friend' but was also a feisty bugger and DS2's self-appointed body-guard so no-one dared to take advantage of his vulnerability. He has moved schools now sad and the TA takes a less direct approach.

AgnesDiPesto Wed 25-Nov-15 21:13:57

DS would lean on children and twiddle their pigtails at carpet time. I don't think it was particularly sensory for him, he just didn't understand the rules about social behaviour or the other childs perspective. He couldn't understand much of what happened at carpet time and was just bored.

Some children concentrate better when they have a fidget toy but DS tends to get distracted by fidgeting -he stops listening and learning so for us we needed to stop the fidgeting and work on him concentrating for longer.

We dealt with it from a behaviour viewpoint - we practised him keeping his hands still in 1:1 - he got tokens on a board every few seconds and then a reward at the end - then we stretched the time he had to sit with his hands still and how often he got tokens. Once he could do it in 1:1 we did the same in class - his 1:1 gave tokens for him sitting nicely & then 1:1 faded back and we got the teacher to give tokens until he could sit without needing rewards

He doesn't always do carpet / circle time if he cant access it - he has 1:1 and will do work at his desk. Sometimes he sits for the first bit when teacher explains what they are going to do simply & he goes and starts while the other children carry on with more of a discussion or brainstorming which for language reasons he can't access

We've spent ages training the teacher up to keep his attention better e.g. ask him direct questions (at the start when his language was very behind we gave her a box of random items and every so often she would pick one and ask DS 'whats this' - which was a question he could answer) now she can ask him more relevant questions but they will not be at the language level of other children. This helps him stay on task. He still works for rewards but they are more subtle - his 1:1 has ticks on a piece of paper in their pocket - but he knows when he has earnt 10 points he gets a break / reward e.g. go outside or book corner for 5 mins

Teachers do need to understand much of the chit chat carpet time is not v accessible for kids with attention or language difficulties. DS used to sit for 5 mins and now its 20-30 depending on the topic, how visual it is (he's better with maths and smart board for e.g.). If its a long discussion then he skips that and spends his time more productively doing something else. Its best to keep it short and successful than the child be told off for not sitting for a period they cannot possibly achieve

We also taught about different relationships by using this circles approach
we then taught him which category different people fitted into - we did this when we were trying to teach him who he could ask for hugs and tickles as it was getting a bit age inappropriate. You could use this to teach the rules about touching / personal space etc Some children with ASC will grasp 'rules' quite easily so you can ask can you lean on Mum? friend? school child? postman etc and teach different rules for different groups and places

DS has ABA support so it was easy for us to do a programme to address this. The difficult part is getting teachers to understand teaching a child how to sit nicely & pay attention is part of their job and its not just going to happen by accident - its needs targeted programmes

ruthsmaoui77 Wed 25-Nov-15 21:47:11

agnes WOW I could learn so much from you. Thank you for your post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now