Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Any SALT around?

(7 Posts)
WoodHeaven Mon 23-Nov-15 12:41:08

Or someone with some knowledge in that area.

dc2 has some serious langauge issue, more precisely issues with inference. He was evaluted by a very nice SALT who put him on the 16th centile for inference (All his other scores are between 95 and 65 which shows how big of a problem this is for him).
SALT doesn't think it's a language issue as such, she is actually putting it under the 'hasn't been taught appropriately at school' category shockshock.
I personnally think that this is another sign of AS, even though he hasn't been diagnosed as such (I've been put off doing anything like this by the previous teachers who were all telling me dc2 was ABSOLUTELY FINE)

So my question is, do you think a SALT would be better to support him or would a nice/good teacher plus some work at home will be enough?

dc2 is in Y6 too which complicates things as I'm getting very worried about what will happen when he'll get to secondary.

StarfrightMcFangsie Mon 23-Nov-15 21:08:39

Research inference resources/apps. Do them. Get SALt to assess again in 6 months.

Perhaps get an Independent SALT with a request to focus on this area particular Larry for assessmet.you are unlikely to get anything of value through the education/health system.

WoodHeaven Mon 23-Nov-15 21:52:12

Star do youu any of them that are better than others by any chance?

I'm not expecting anything from the 'system' but within finite ressources, I need to see where the money is best spent.
I can do SALT private but not a lot else. Or a (good) tutor and some books/apps.
My fiest language isn't english which complicates things again when you start talking about texts and comprehension.

StarfrightMcFangsie Mon 23-Nov-15 22:05:26

With a professional reference you can get a grant from Cereba for SALT if you haven't seen one in 6 months.

I like Test of Abstract Language Comprehension as a baseline assessment tool which you can administer yoursel and then redo 6 months later.

Language for Thinking is also a good resource but both are a bit more 'primary' than 'Secondary'.

iPad apps can be cheap-ish but You'll have to look at reviews. I don't know any off hand. I like Headsprout comprehension but hate the company who now owns it.

zzzzz Wed 25-Nov-15 11:14:27

We had a good inference app. I'm out and about but will try and come back to it. Ds responds amazingly to a half hour of language app a day. I would imagine the effect would be enhanced with someone like your DS as mine doesn't have the +ve structure surrounding the inference difficulty

WoodHeaven Wed 25-Nov-15 13:00:45

Oh yes that would be great zzzz
There are so many apps around that chosing one feels like sending darts with your eyes closed iyswim.

Thanks Star. I will have a look at the baseline assessment tool. I would want to know how he is doing!

zzzzz Wed 25-Nov-15 13:06:17

This one is quite fun though might be too easy. DS is "on a break" so we have stopped language stuff for a while and I have no memory.

There are two apps I like one called question builder and one called language builder (both do with not independent for best results)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now