Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How the hell is ASD diagnosed?

(14 Posts)
SweetPeaSoup Wed 18-Nov-15 15:07:25

I posted a while ago about my DS (5 yrs) who I am convinced is on the spectrum. He is in yr1, on his second year with a teacher who is a not and who doesn't have any experience /knowledge of ASD. He has been 'observed' for an hour so that the spoon can decide whether to assess him, but they are not taking anything that I have to say about his behaviour into account. They said it was inconclusive, so they will observe for another hour before they decide whether to ask the lea to assess him.

I took a list of the reasons why I'm concerned to the gp, and she said 'not to worry that my child is different, but to love him as he is' - as if I don't love him! She says she will refer him to CAHMS, but not to get my hopes up because they usually don't assess, but will probably send me some leaflets.

In the meantime, yes he's high functioning, but I don't know how to help him socially, I can't ask the school to make reasonable adjustments for something that's undiagnosed, and I can't give a name to something that other people most likely regard as naughtiness.

(My brother has what was called Asperger Syndrome, so there's a family link, and I have seen it up close and personal, though ds is obviously different in some ways).

Thanks for reading, if you made it this fast through my frustrated rant. And further thanks if you have any suggestions for what to do next?

SweetPeaSoup Wed 18-Nov-15 15:07:47

Teacher is NQT, sorry, my phone hates me.

ruthsmaoui77 Wed 18-Nov-15 16:19:30

Hello, I have two sons on the ASD spectrum. The oldest child was very high functioning and although he had many problems in school (socially) he wasn't diagnosed until a year AFTER his younger brother was diagnosed at the age of 9. Everything was put down to his behaviour - i.e was he just a naughty boy who found it hard to follow instructions - so I really understand how hard it is when you feel you are not being listened to. Anyway both boys were referred to a paedatrician who assessed them and agreed they needed further assessment, then referred them on to the social communication clinic where they were diagnosed by a Psychologist. Good Luck getting you child the help he needs xx.

StarfrightMcFangsie Wed 18-Nov-15 16:44:46

Search for symptoms of dyspraxia, ASD, ADHD, SPD, PDA and anything else that occurs to you. Write a list of all symptoms that you believe your child has and give one, preferably two real life examples of him displaying the behaviours/symptoms. If possible get one or two videos.

Put a written request into the GP for a referral to a developmental paediatrician and accompany the request with the list and video if you have it.

SweetPeaSoup Wed 18-Nov-15 17:40:31

Thank you both - so CHAMS isn't the same as a developmental paediatrician?

noblegiraffe Wed 18-Nov-15 17:48:24

I went to the GP and they referred my DS to CAMHS. CAHMS wrote back saying he didn't meet the criteria for referral and gave some websites. The school were confused as to why the GP referred to CAMHS saying that they weren't the right people, they referred to the local paediatrician and we've just started filling in the paperwork.

The school can certainly make adjustments for your DS without a diagnosis though, if he needs them. My DS has stuff like a visual timetable and a feelings thermometer, and goes to a social skills group even though he's not diagnosed with anything (yet).

StarfrightMcFangsie Wed 18-Nov-15 18:11:44

No. CAHMS is for mental health (start by ruling out parents as cause) Paediatrician is Neurological Disorders (start by ruling out disability as cause)

2boysnamedR Wed 18-Nov-15 18:14:13

Camhs - children & adolesent mental health services ( I guess the s is services?)

PolterGoose Wed 18-Nov-15 18:16:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Wed 18-Nov-15 18:17:13

Go to GP and ask to be referred to paediatrician. They will talk, ask again. Repeat.

As far as school goes dx is immaterial (though saves a lot of faff) they provide support based on need not dx, so list concerns, ask for meeting withCT and ask what they can do to support listed issues.

Lazeedayz Wed 18-Nov-15 20:15:43

It depends on your area, if you google your LA and Autism Pathway, that should give you the information you need. It might be in your Local Offer (the online information that every LA have to provide about the available provision/services).

My area it's school - Community Paed, but previously it was CAMHS.

MilkshakeMonkey Thu 19-Nov-15 16:16:24

Try a different GP. The first one I saw (after school suggested I saw gp) said he was normal for his age and commented how good he was sitting in her office. A week later I saw another doc with a bite wound from DS. Explained what his behaviours were, school concerns etc - she referred straight away!

Stick to your guns. Could you talk to SENCO at school? Or school nurse team?

ArtichokeHeartsAppleCarts Thu 19-Nov-15 18:28:17

I had to go to 3 different GPs before my concerns were taken seriously. Because of the delay this caused, we ended up seeing our local community paediatrician privately to get a dx. It cost £750 for assessment and detailed report.

Generation1979 Fri 20-Nov-15 22:03:50

My son has been referred to CAHMs. I'm devasted as know how crap they are in my area. I'm waiting to be told to go on a parenting course by them.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: