Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What to do with medicine refuser?

(12 Posts)
Fourarmsv2 Tue 17-Nov-15 20:46:15

Have had a phonecall say DS2 is anaemic...Have been asked to go to see the GP tomorrow.

So the options are likely to be (NHS website)

Eat more iron-rich foods:

dark-green leafy vegetables, such as watercress and curly kale
iron-fortified cereals or bread (he eats weetabix, usually insists on wraps not bread but I could probably swap that)
brown rice
pulses and beans
nuts and seeds - peanut butter
white and red meat - yes
fish
tofu
eggs
dried fruit, such as dried apricots, prunes and raisins

You should also try and include foods from all major food groups in your diet, to ensure it is healthy and well-balanced. In particular, you should try to include foods and drinks containing vitamin C, as vitamin C can help your body to absorb iron.

Doesn't drink anything apart from Ribena, milk, water, Coke & tea

However, high levels of some foods and drinks, as well as certain medicines, may make it harder for your body to absorb iron. These include:
tea and coffee hmmmm
calcium, found in dairy products such as milk - loads of milk including on weetabix
antacids and proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), which are medications sometimes used to relieve indigestion
wholegrain cereals – although wholegrains are a good source of iron themselves, they contain phytic acid, which can stop your body absorbing iron from other foods and pills - are weetabix wholegrain?

Or have iron supplements. Goodness knows how I'd get these in. He can detect a teeny trace of anything added to food or drinks and will refuse to eat it (plus be distrustful for days). He cannot be bribed to eat / drink anything.

I hate saying this to GP because they think I'm exaggerating. But from birth he has vomitted medicines. He has painkillers by suppository (less than 10 times since birth). Had to stop giving prophylactic antibiotics for kidney problems due to vomiting.

What can I do?

PolterGoose Tue 17-Nov-15 20:52:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fourarmsv2 Tue 17-Nov-15 22:18:39

Have tried spatone & floradix (I take them) but not Sainsburys so will get some.

Doesn't help that he doesn't like sweets so all those options are out of the question.

Fourarmsv2 Tue 17-Nov-15 22:20:09

Cooker is induction sad

PolterGoose Tue 17-Nov-15 22:25:52

Ineedmorepatience Tue 17-Nov-15 22:28:53

I have advice but I do know how hard it is to manage a medicine refuser!

Dd3 also refused medicine from 3 months which was the first time I tried calpol after a reaction to a vaccine sad

Be kind to yourself. flowers

Ineedmorepatience Tue 17-Nov-15 22:31:07

Should have said "no advice" sorry! blush

PolterGoose Tue 17-Nov-15 22:35:10

Fourarmsv2 Wed 18-Nov-15 07:57:16

I'm going to have to get better at that PG. I've been lazy I think whilst DS2 has gotten harder to handle.

I'm going to stop the weetabix and swap to Cheerios (his other cereal option - are they better or wholegrain too?). He will eat them without milk.

Lunch is always: Nutella wrap (will swap to bread, will read labels for highest fortified). Can't have peanut butter in school sad Cheese string, Ribena & tracker bar. Any swaps there? He has digestive biscuits & water for snack.

Meals he eats:
Fishfingers
Hotdogs
Sausages
Burgers
Bolognese
Roast meats
Gammon
Pasta
Rice
Sweetcorn
Peas
Fries (no other potato)
He's not keen on foods touching, the only mixed up meal he'll eat is spag Bol and even then he's particular about any other than mine (the horror when they sprinkled orange cheese on it last time we ate out!)

dark-green leafy vegetables, such as watercress and curly kale

iron-fortified cereals or bread - can do

brown rice - will introduce instead of pasta and see, usually eats white rice as I didn't want too much fibre with his 3-6 a day weetabix diet

pulses and beans - could add some red lentils to bolognese

nuts and seeds - up the peanut butter & cut Nutella

white and red meat - think we're OK here but will try and cut processed meat

fish - do fishfingers count?

tofu???

eggs

dried fruit, such as dried apricots, prunes and raisins - don't think I could get these in without making my own sticky toffee pudding!

He's not overweight - slim if anything - age 9 and in Next 10-11 slim fit trousers. Doesn't eat sweets. Snacks on weetabix, biscuits or crisps usually. I'll stop offering tea & hot chocolate and just give him water unless he asks.

PolterGoose Wed 18-Nov-15 10:05:50

yakkiyakkiyogi Sun 22-Nov-15 17:29:38

I could have written the OP a year ago!!! DS (3.7) has very low iron levels (7 when baseline is 30!!!) He is on the 98th centile for height and weight so looks very healthy and proportionate but has a very poor diet. Paratha for breakfast, a few biscuits for snack at nursery (maybe only twice a week if lucky), bird's eye chicken dippers for lunch, bird's eye fish fingers or aunt bessie's yorkshire puddings for dinner, occasionally he may have one pot of the peppa pig fromage frais (he hates spoons). I've mentioned the brand names of the food as well because these are the ONLY ones he'll eat....a slight change in taste / temperature / plates etc puts him off completely.

So with this background I managed to get him referred to a dietician last year and he's been on iron supplements since. But sue to his extreme sensitivity to taste its a nightmare getting them in him. Its called Sytron Elixir and has to be given 2.5 mls thrice a day....so thats 3 x 15 minutes per day I spend holding him in various ways to get him to open his mouth so I can squirt the supplement in his mouth with a syringe...the result is usually spitting out most of it or wastage as he struggles a lot and is a strong boy. I've tried a few powdered supplements as advised by the dietician but didnt work because they had a distinctive taste even the unflavoured one was detected by him in his fromage frais!!!!

One good thing she advised was putting him on Big Milk that has added iron in it. I don't know if that's resulted in getting the levels up as we haven't had a blood test since. I would suggest firstly trying to get referred to a dietician as that will mean tailored advice for your ds and secondly giving big milk a try.

BoogleMcGroogle Mon 23-Nov-15 08:12:06

I'd second Big Milk. It doesn't have a huge amount of iron added, but might make a difference. My son takes it as it has vitamin D added and he won't take medicine. If his levels are that low, I would have thought a pediatrician would prescribe iron injections. Maybe start with a request for a dietetics referral. They are well used to dealing with this issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now