Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Could this be hypermobility?

(8 Posts)
bbkl Tue 17-Nov-15 09:25:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Runningtokeepstill Tue 17-Nov-15 11:45:30

There's quite a range in "bendyness" amongst the population generally and amongst those diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome.

Being bendy is not unusual, it's having associated problems such as pain, instability and sometimes dislocations that cause the problems. My youngest ds was diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome when he was 10 and at that point the pain issues had escalated to the extent that he couldn't get up and down stairs and was walking very oddly. We hadn't noticed he was particularly bendy but then I'm hypermobile in a number of joints so it was "normal" to me. But we've met others with the syndrome who've been into gymnastics and all sorts which my son could never have done.

Certainly the handwriting problems (hurting and getting messier if trying to keep going) are very familiar, as are the painful, clicky joints. Most GP's aren't too hot on hypermobility syndrome so trying rheumatology might be best or a paediatrician with an interest in hypermobililty if there is one by you.

My ds was diagnosed at Great Ormond Street Hospital as no-one locally could work out what was going on with him. He's never been super bendy, and started with pain after a fall so he was seen by orthopaedics for quite a while who eventually pronounced there was nothing wrong with his bones. True, but it didn't take us any further. It was a bit of a faff to get to the right people after that - a very helpful and sympathetic paediatrician in our case and then on to GOSH. It's getting trickier , I think, to get to GOSH. You need a consultant's referral rather than a GP one.

ouryve Tue 17-Nov-15 12:01:03

What do her fingers look like when she's writing?

DS1 and I both struggle with handwriting - our fingertips bend back a long way, which makes holding a pen comfortably difficult.

How hard is she pressing? If she's leaving bi dents in the paper, she's pressing too hard, which can be a result of insufficient proprioceptive feedback. Get her to practice writing with a pencil so lightly that she can rub it out without a trace.

The best advice we had for DS1 was from a private OT - we hired her to evaluate his sensory difficulties, but she picked up on my concerns about hypermobility.

BeyondThirty Tue 17-Nov-15 12:06:10

It certainly sounds like a possibility. If its the fact that its only becoming obvious to you at 11 that is making you think you are being paranoid - dont... I'm paraphriasing, but the increase in progesterone at puberty has been linked to increased HM in HM individuals. And it took til my late 20's to get my diagnosis!

bbkl Tue 17-Nov-15 12:10:49

zzzzz Tue 17-Nov-15 12:25:42

If she is able and the writing is for "her" rather than to hand in (or can be copied out to hand in), she could try writing skipping all the vowels. It means less letters for the same message to be recorded.

Eg t mns lss lttrs fr th sm mssg t b rcdd

Sound mad but I used to do it when I got behind and you rarely can't read it despite what you might think.

PolterGoose Tue 17-Nov-15 19:00:35

frazzledbutcalm Tue 17-Nov-15 22:13:29

We're a hypermobile family. Ds and Dd hands/wrists hurt A LOT when they're writing. Ds has been seen by an OT physio - he uses Kinesio tap, with excellent results for him! Dd is waiting for her appointment to come through.

I totally 'get' the wobbly core - we were advised to do pilates. Not tried it yet though.

We've not found relief from the associated pains yet though sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now