Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is ECHP easier to obtain then the old statement?

(9 Posts)
colettemum3 Mon 16-Nov-15 12:27:35

Son just started secondary school. Has ADHD,ODD and ASD. His behaviour at school has deteriorated and we got a letter the other day from school threatening to give him a fixed term exclusion if he doesn't improve. And also asked if my husband and I could talk to him about his behaviour......

Has had 3 after school detentions, one internal exclusion and a lot of lunch/playtime detentions (the less then 30 minute ones).

I and his previous schools have tried repeatedly to get him statemented but just couldn't get the right ammo together and he was academically able.

We felt that the lea had blackballed us due to the fact that we had previously nearly end up going to tribunal twice in the past with his siblings.

Although with one of them we used Robert Love (saved up for a year beforehand).

I don't think we can afford him again or go the private reports route.

Just wondering if the LEA will actually help us this time (as a certain person doesn't work there anymore).

Or are we going to have to remorgage the house and go the solicitor route?

Will having a letter from our local NHS (CDC and CAHMS) saying that they can't offer support help boost our case this time?

GruntledOne Mon 16-Nov-15 14:29:53

The criteria for an EHCP are more or less the same as for a statement. But it sounds as if you ought to have strong grounds for assessment given the history of what has been going on in less than half a term. Has the school tried to get outside advice? They will need to be able to demonstrate that they have tried everything they can and that the help he needs can't be provided from within their resources.

I suggest you ask for a meeting with the SENCo as soon as possible to sound out what, if anything, they can do to help him and to avoid exclusions, and whehter s/he would support you in asking for an EHC Needs Assessment.

You don't have to go for the likes of Robert Love, by the way. There are cheaper solicitors and even cheaper advocates who are at least as good, and people like SOS SEN can help you to run the appeal yourself.

colettemum3 Mon 16-Nov-15 15:35:22

Advice from IPSEA after i told her about the Senco is to by pass her.
Her husband is one of the deputy heads........
She only gives parents 3 meetings a year...
And we have had one already. Where she treated us like we were thick as bowel movements.
She tried the same thing with my daughter who's doing her A/S levels there, senco is holding a lunch time group, so daughter went down with some food for my son, acted like my daughter was 3 years old and my daughter came home later from school later fuming.
My son has a wide range of stress toys... She would prefer that he uses the school one. A hand size hard spikey ball. Obviously that now hasn't work as i got a phone call from one of her underlings saying so and they are now using the red card tactic.
We got the impression that she doesn't think ODD exists or that my son doesn't have it.

He has a salt that comes in to see him, to work on his social skills. His school are now planning to hold a social skill therapy group of 6 sessions.

But honestly if they think what's he's done is bad...... They should of seen him at Junior school.
He's like a little lamb now grin although he's rather talk and stocky for his age.

He had to transfer school as his first junior school couldn't cope with him and he was getting quite a few day exclusions.
His second junior school was better, but there was still a lot of problems and he nearly got a fixed term exclusion there. But at least at this school he didn't damage any property. But a teacher did get caught in the cross fire. And i think a few tables still got overturned but i don't think he threw any chairs and he hasn't touchwood at secondary.

So if anyone can recommend the cheaper solicitors and advocates i would be very grateful.

Am considering that it might be better for him to go to an independent ASD special school as there is a good one in my borough that now offers a wide range of GCSE's.

And i think the fact that he got level 5's in his sats. Might be enough hopefully for the local lea special schools to say that they can't cater for him.

PolterGoose Mon 16-Nov-15 17:06:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

colettemum3 Mon 16-Nov-15 18:19:07

There's a really good independent ASD school in the area (if we got the echp). The other local mainstream school is closer but most of the bullies from his junior school has gone there.

I think he needs this independent special school, but that's where it gets hard as there is 3 lea special school's that the lea could try and push him in. Within a few miles of our house.

One of theirs offers up to 7 GCSE's but the independent school does 12 and that includes foreign language.

PolterGoose Mon 16-Nov-15 18:25:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

colettemum3 Mon 16-Nov-15 18:35:34

The independent ASD school goes up to age 19 and does vocational studies as well. He's good at french so it be a shame if he was stuck in the LEA one and unable to do it.

GruntledOne Mon 16-Nov-15 18:39:47

If the SENCO is that useless it does sound like you're better off moving him. However, there is no way he'll get into the independent ASD school unless and until he has an EHCP. It sounds as if you might be best advised to start the ball rolling with your own formal request for an EHC assessment. There should be information on your LA website about how to do that, and also advice on the Ipsea and SOS SEN websites.

For advocates, you could try Fiona Slomovic, though she's extremely busy. For solicitors, try Maxwell Gillott, and Watkins in Bristol.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 16-Nov-15 20:13:31

I agree that you should apply yourself! You may need to go to tribunal to get through the process though!

Unfortunately local authorities have policies which are not the same as SEND law!

These policies say things like "Children and YP must be 5 yrs behind or 3 NC levels below their peers"

It is all garbage! The law says if a child/YP has or may have special educational needs, if they require provision over and above that of their peers or if they are not making satisfactory progress or if progress has slowed then they might need assessing!"

If you have evidence that your Ds needs provision that is not normally provided by schools then go for it!

A quick way maybe to just pay a solicitor to do the whole thing for you, they can sometimes convince LA's that they will lose in tribunal and get them to concede but obviously there is no guarantee.

FWIW, I think you should consider how many times you want to go to tribunal! The request for indie school will almost certainly take you to appeal especially if there are other schools that can meet needs closer! You wanting your son to do french will not bother the LA a jot, they are thinking about potentially thousands of pounds!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: