Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Speech Therepy Review.

(3 Posts)
lifesong18 Tue 10-Nov-15 20:11:28

Hiya,

I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong part. I have wrote on another forum but no help so thought I would try on here and hopefully get some advice.

I have a 3 and a half year old daughter who had her speech therapy review today and she said that's its her language that she needs help with her and then the speech will come later. She can speak sentances but it's not clear at all and she doesn't talk much at all.

However, she said it was her understanding that needs working on! This never crossed my mind as she understands everything that I say to her! But she was adament this was not the case.

However she goes to nursery everyday and when I told them they were completly suprised also because again she understands what they are saying to her. Now, she is now going to be under SEN early years because she does need extra help but the nursery's words are she only talks when asked a question, she will answer it and thats it and she doesn't seem to WANT to communicate and also we have issues with her and other children, she won't interact with them or go near them in any sort of way so this is why is being put on SEN ready for reception otherwise they said she will be behind in all aspects, not once did they mention understanding!

I'm thinking because she won't talk to people she doesn't know and doesn't talk that much anyway she just didn't want to COMMUNICATE with the speech therapist rather than not understanding. She's going to be doing reports and now I'm worried because I feel she needs help with other things not her understanding but because she has put that in report and sending it to nursery and SEN that's what they will focus on.

Sorry for the long post, as anyone got any advice?

x

Anomia10 Thu 12-Nov-15 17:15:32

I can't help with all the issues, but Dd used all her intelligence to cover up her comprehension problems. It was only when I saw her being assessed by the speech therapist, with no visual clues, that I realised how little she understood. She watched other children very carefully to see what she should be doing. She also studied our facial expressions and the intonations in our speech to see if we were telling a joke for instance, or asking a question. She also talks a lot to control the conversation, so she does not have to comprehend much!

kelda Sun 15-Nov-15 09:46:42

Has she had her hearing checked? I was convinced my eldest dd understood everything but actually her hearing was very poor, and solved by grommets.

Also agree with Anomia, their intelligence can cover problems eg. copying other children rather then understanding the instruction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now