Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Inclusion of ADHD DS at after school club

(6 Posts)
thelittleredhen Tue 10-Nov-15 14:00:53

DS is year 3 and has moved to junior school this time.

I have changed my hours at work to be part time working 3 days 9-5.

Plan was for my DM to get DS from school while he settled in and then start him at ASC.

School say that his behaviour is currently too unpredictable and that they cannot ensure the safety of DS or the other children - and so until his behaviour becomes more predicable they cannot take him for ASC.

My friend says that they have to include him and need to make provisions but I don't know.

Looks like I'll be changing my hours again....

Do any of you know?

AgnesDiPesto Tue 10-Nov-15 15:21:09

If the club is part of the school or run privately as a service? Look at equalityhumanrights.com for info on responsibilities on service providers / schools. Both have to make reasonable adjustments but what is reasonable will depend on resources etc. If the club is run by school then it would be more likely have to fund 1:1 so can attend. If it's a private organisation then would depend on its resources if funding 1:1 is reasonable.
You could also ask social care do carers assessment and ask for direct payments to support your role as carer or ask if any funds avail to after school clubs from council. It's clear that equality duty on a school extends to after sch clubs etc. Potentially you could bring disability discrimination claim. But that would be harder if it's a small privately run operation as it would be less likely to be reasonable to fund extra staff. even then they should consider funding extra member of staff even if charge you (you may be able to recoup via tax credits or childcare vouchers) but I agree it makes disabled childcare v expensive which is why most of us are stuck in PT jobs. Some LAs will have service that can skill up clubs to include disabled children but that probably won't extend to paying for extra worker. Councils do have duties to ensure disabled childcare is avail under (I think) childcare act but it's a sufficiency duty and most ignore it as there is no real consequence for ignoring it. You can ask the council for a list of disabled childcare providers and see what they say.

thelittleredhen Tue 10-Nov-15 15:41:19

Its run by and attached to the school. I currently work 3 days 9-5 so look like asking my manager if I can work 9-3 over 4 days instead which is not what I want to do but feel like my hands are tied MASSIVELY.

Thanks for your post Agnes - I'll take a look at that website.

thelittleredhen Tue 10-Nov-15 15:41:47

Its run by and attached to the school. I currently work 3 days 9-5 so look like asking my manager if I can work 9-3 over 4 days instead which is not what I want to do but feel like my hands are tied MASSIVELY.

Thanks for your post Agnes - I'll take a look at that website.

chocadd1ct Tue 10-Nov-15 16:39:36

OP, I know you prefer 3 longer days to 4 shorter, but it might be worth giving it a go.

I changed to school hours (over 5 days though).even though it means I have zero time at home without the DC it was the best decision. not having the after school childcare whoowha and associated stress for my DC has made things a lot calmer.

thelittleredhen Tue 10-Nov-15 16:47:57

Thanks choc - I was working 5 days 9-3 last year and was really looking forward to having some more "me" time now he's a bit older with the two days a week off!

I'm a LP and so was putting DS in school and going to work, finishing work and going to pick him up - every day felt like groundhog day.

4 days and 1 day off doesn't sound SO bad as 5 days and no days off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now