Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dreading the EHCP plan.

(5 Posts)
Iamverynotcrazy Sun 08-Nov-15 18:55:13

I have an 11 year old who will be changing to EHCP plan soon. Originally all the paperwork was done filled out and meetings done as he was classed as priority due to moving up to secondary school. About a month before he left junior school I was told that the LEA had decided to but on hold changing him from statement. Also send then started telling me that has ds is on a category D statement that he was more than likely going to lose all of his funding on the EHCP plan and would lose all his 1to1 and additional help. Now my son is quiet clever with his academics but really struggles with social and has a soiling problem. Now his statement has never covered his academics it's always been there for the social side of things and his soiling. I have his annual review meeting on Wednesday and I am so scared they are going to pull everything and he's going to be just left to it.

BackforGood Sun 08-Nov-15 23:47:10

I think the 'Category D' thing must be something your LA have made up. Not come across any categorising of Statements here.
However, the Government were very insistent that any child who would have qualified for a Statement would also qualify for an EHC Plan, and this has certainly been the case in our authority so far, so it's not the EHC that is the issue, but the possible lack of understanding of your ds's needs and how they impact upon him.

Iamverynotcrazy Mon 09-Nov-15 07:59:44

The category is link to the level of funding I think. They never have really been willing to understand ds needs, I have always been meet with the attitude that is academics are fine then the rest is irrelevant I have always disagreed and pushed to get him the help.

GruntledOne Mon 09-Nov-15 08:40:28

Are they doing a reassessment? By law they have to - see regulation 14 of the Transitional and Saving Regulations.

Can you talk to the school about what they feel DS needs? Quite a lot will depend on their report and if they say he really needs the full level of support then it will be difficult for the LA to pull it.

Iamverynotcrazy Mon 09-Nov-15 08:42:44

School are saying he still needs the same amount of support he has now. Now he has changed school will all the paperwork and reports be done again for the EHCP plan?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: