Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

please help oh wise mums (long)

(4 Posts)
strawberryblondebint Tue 03-Nov-15 10:06:20

ear with me as this is long!
I have a speech delayed 4 year old. When she was first noticed and referred for slt we were offered an appointment at a development clinic. We hummed and hawed over this as we had intervention when she was a late walker and by the time she was referred and seen she was walking. However we were told that appointments were difficult and just to accept. On her first visit to the clinic a lovely doctor reassured me. He didn't see any obvious signs of autism or aspergers and sent a follow up appointment. We had a rough ride whereby she had serious behaviour issues and tantrums but her language started to develop and she started nursery with no issues. We went back for a referral to the development clinic and the head of speech and language was there with the doctor. She was horrible. No effort made to engage with my child and she kept saying they couldn't progress without a report from nursery. One was duly requested and we have another appointment at the end of this month. Then just before the summer break nursery asked me to come in as they were worried that my daughter wasn't keen to do structured activities and was getting upset. She is also terrified of hand dryers however although very late to potty train is sorted now. They wanted to attend the next appointment at the clinic and I agreed to this. Last week they asked us to come in and see them again. Whilst they agreed my daughters speech is vastly improved now they still have concerns on her concentration and receptive language and suggested that she might be better placed in a different primary when she starts next year as they are not a resources school and she may need additional help.
We expressed concerns about this and tried to reiterate that her language and behaviour at home is amazing compared to a few months ago and if she continued at this rate there may be no need for this. They agreed to wait until after the development meeting at the clinic. The yesterday I receive. A letter saying there will me a multi agency meeting of transition planning to discuss my child. We as parents are not invited and it is an early intervention. It's now called a projection meeting. I now have no clue what is going on. I have a child who is mildly speech delayed and improving daily. Her behaviour is on the whole much better. She does have difficulty concentrating on a specific task and she does have rigid behaviours e.g very fussy about clothes and food. She is the most determined child I have ever met. I'm now at my wits end. I have no idea what all these agencies think she has and am angry that we weren't told at the nursery meeting about this projection meeting. I just want to cry and pull her out of the system but I can't. Please please help
I'm in Scotland if I that helps

strawberryblondebint Tue 03-Nov-15 17:22:06

Bumping for advice

Ineedmorepatience Tue 03-Nov-15 17:53:49

I think that because the system is so different in scotland I wouldnt want to advise you other than to say, if assessments have been offered then I would have them. No one is going to diagnose you child with something unnecessarily! Some families struggle for years to get nurseries and schools to refer children for support so maybe you should be thanking yoursfor being on the ball! I am not suggesting that they have done everythijg right just that they are trying to help!

You could try and find a facebook support page (usually closed groups) for asking about support for children in scotland, you might get more local advise. You are fairly safe on closed groups.

Good luck flowers

strawberryblondebint Tue 03-Nov-15 18:42:14

Thanks. I understand that a diagnosis could be helpful for some parents and maybe I am being irrational. I just feel that it won't change her and she is catching up. I also hate the idea of professionals having a meeting about my child that I don't get to attend and most of them haven't even met her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now