Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Tourette's in children

(11 Posts)
Kevr200 Mon 02-Nov-15 19:46:39

Hi all, I am new to mumsnet (well an oldie returned) .
I have 4 children I Dd aged 19 3 DS aged 11, 8, and 5.
My 11 year old is ASD with ADHD.
He has a tic where he grunts from deep in his throat which he claims to have no idea he is doing it.
But over last few weeks has started swearing but claiming he didn't say anything when questioned. He is saying oh sh*t and oh f**k .
I have spoken to school for them to keep an eye out as in my eyes if he starts saying it there he has no control.
Tonight during dinner he said it a few times. So I said there you go Son you just said something.his reply was mum I didn't say anything!
Then he proceeded with." My friend told me off in science today mum for swearing but I never said anything"
I then phoned up his friends mum to explain and k to speak to him. I asked him if my DS swears in school he said yes recently he has started to say oh f and oh s. And when he says it he jumps a little in his chair.
We have just received his prescription for his ADHD meds to try and calm his temper.
I am now wondering what to do do I go to the doctors or wait for the school to back me up! I have today spoken to them and asked to listen out for him as was unsure if he is just trying his luck or if he really can't help it.

Any advice please

TIA

zzzzz Mon 02-Nov-15 20:13:08

I wasn't aware people with Tourette's Syndrome didn't hear themselves. In fact I'm pretty sure they do.

PolterGoose Mon 02-Nov-15 20:51:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kevr200 Mon 02-Nov-15 21:02:05

Thank you.. This is what's making me think it was the paediatric doctor we see for ASD and ADHD that mentioned possible Tourette's ..
I have no idea what it is but this is the most common that comes up in searches.. Maybe correct question would be
What could it be? Seem S he seems to be in aware ( or does he deny because he knows what he is saying is wrong)
I just want some advice and help.

Kevr200 Mon 02-Nov-15 21:18:45

Just had a quick chat with him re this and told him I wasn't angry and he wasn't in trouble with swearing but need to know if he is Aware.. He has said yes he is but knows he shouldn't but can't help it. But has been saying he has no idea so he didn't get into trouble for saying it!!!
He knows swearing is wrong and that he is not allowed too.. How do I play this what do I do.. This has been building up over three to four weeks. He has another grunting noise that he makes seems to come from deep in his throat. He does grind his teeth also.
Reason I hadn't talked before was that I didn't want him aware that I new he was swearing just to wait things out.
I am really just after advice and help please I just want to help him..

Toomuch2young Sun 08-Nov-15 09:11:42

First of all record him to show GP. Also contact tourettes action and look at their website and check out some of the Tourettes facebook groups for info. Lots of support for ticcers now. Good luck.

ArtichokeHeartsAppleCarts Mon 09-Nov-15 20:11:27

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/behaviour_development/521803-positive-stories-about-tourettes-syndrome-please

This is an old thread but might be heloful, some good links on it

ArtichokeHeartsAppleCarts Mon 09-Nov-15 20:22:35

Not much research have been done re nutritional supplements in this area but anecdotally theres some evidence that magnesium supplements can help reduce tics. If you google magnesium and tourettes you can find out more

Kevr200 Mon 09-Nov-15 20:41:31

Thank you.
Took him to doctors on Friday he has written in his notes re the tics. But can't do anything as all has got to go through his paediatrician .. Waiting to see when she wants to see him next as said 6 months but then we decided to try meds which she sent prescription for months supply via post.. I am presuming she will want to see how he is getting on with them .. Or she may just want the doctor to sort will phone next week if I have still heard nothing x

ArtichokeHeartsAppleCarts Tue 10-Nov-15 20:38:07

Good idea to chase up if you haven't heard anything by next week
Sounds like paed should review meds shortly, especially if your DS is new to medication

ArtichokeHeartsAppleCarts Tue 10-Nov-15 21:30:25

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tourette-syndrome/Pages/Diagnosis.aspx

Diagnostic criteria here

If you haven't read The Explosive Child already you may find it helpful wrt anger issues (I know this isn't what you're asking about but it sounds like you have quite a lot going on, you mentioned temper difficulties and I've found it v helpful-DS3 has ASD/PDA traits- so thought I'd mention it in case it might help)

flowerscakebrewwine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now