Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone with children with food issues particularly with Asd but not exclusively!

(7 Posts)
Ineedmorepatience Sat 24-Oct-15 10:58:30

This lady came to speak at a support group I go to! I have met her a few times and she really gets Asd. Its great to meet a proff who talks about learning from parents too!

network.autism.org.uk/knowledge/insight-opinion/understanding-and-managing-eating-issues-autism-spectrum
[

zzzzz Sat 24-Oct-15 21:20:17

Interesting. I'm not sure that I recognise the theories she puts forward as to why limited diets occur in my ds, but it's interesting to read other people's ideas.

Ineedmorepatience Sat 24-Oct-15 21:54:17

I can definitely relate to what she says about brands!

The subtle differences between them is very noticable to some and whereas my older girls will tolerate brand changes Dd3 will absolutely not! She will eat one type of spaghetti, one type of shreddies, one type of porridge and no others. Even if we can get her to try the others she has already decided she "doesnt like" them before she tries.

Tiny changes to ingredients in products will stop her eating or drinking them too, which is why we all dread the words "New Improved Recipe"!

zzzzz Sat 24-Oct-15 22:04:31

Oh yes, here too grin. But for us I don't think the reasons behind the behaviour are as she describes

Anomia10 Thu 29-Oct-15 22:18:03

Well, I don't know about those; but DD has what Richard Soppitt called "food jags". She'll want one food every day - say chicken soup.She absolutely loves it and asks for it all the time for about 3 months, then says one day "I don't like that any more!" She won't eat that food again for years, if ever. However, she moves onto something else - say Parma ham for 3 months. I've noticed she often goes for food with a strong flavour - such as black pudding, stuffed green olives, crispy duck with pancakes, onion omelettes, smoked salmon with lemon juice and pepper on...

I think it is seeking some kind of sensory stimulation, as they found lemon juice or fizzy sweets improves her cognitive functioning.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 29-Oct-15 22:32:01

Yes, I've got DS with AS and sensory issues who only likes strong tasting foods, won't eat anything on the menu in an average cafe (sandwiches, omelettes, jacket potatoes etc), won't eat potatoes in any form, won't eat anything in breadcrumbs or any element of a roast dinner. Will eat curries, Chinese, couscous etc but nothing in the way of plain "British" food. I'll have a read through that link, thank you.

And no substituting cheap Lidl versions of favourites here sad.

ShadyMyLady Fri 30-Oct-15 09:11:38

I always thought my DD, who is 5 and has ASD, was a reasonable eater. She has a varied diet. It's only now that I spoke to someone at CAMHS that I realised she has quite significant issues around food. She's very controlling about what she eats. And we honestly haven't had a single meal time in 3 years where there has been no screaming or shouting. She gets very angry if her food touches and won't use cutlery. Chairs have been thrown in the past.

For her it seems to be more about meal times that the actual food itself. I had it drilled in me that you were to sit up at the table with the family, eat with a knife and fork and sit nicely until everyone had finished. And I still expected it from DD.

For the last week we have been so much more relaxed with her. We let her eat on her own in the living room with her iPad, and let her eat with her fingers if she wishes. I thought by doing this it was her 'winning' and me failing as parent. But I have been reassured that this is the right thing to do, and that after 3 years this is a battle I will never win.

My other two DC (NT) do have to sit up at the table and eat 'properly'.

I haven't fully read that article so can't say if I agree with it or not, I got part way through then switched off. Will try again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now