Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

bedtime nightmare!

(6 Posts)
sparklyDMs Wed 21-Oct-15 22:39:17

I'm hoping you may be able to give me some tips on settling 10 yr old dts1 at bedtime. I think he may have PDA, but it's a long wait for referrals..he masks at school and in front of his Dad too, so it's also taken a long time for him to back me up on trying to get a dx.
I had a strategy of a 'stretch and sink' routine followed by deep breathing which was great. In the last few days, I can't get as far as doing it, he says his brain doesn't work and repeatedly rubs around hitting dts2 and dd1 with whatever is in his hand - soft toy or similar. If I restrain and remove it, he will resume again with something else. I need to settle him, particularly as it's so hard on the other DC's, but I have no idea what to do - I'd be grateful for any advice.

PolterGoose Thu 22-Oct-15 07:05:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lesley25 Thu 22-Oct-15 07:16:05

We also do lots of trampolining and recently brought an indoor bouncy castle second hand- it was originally from Argos but is great in the winter, when we can't use he trampoline outside. We also use a huge gym ball for rolling before bedtime. I would say ds does all this for about an hour in total before bed.

sparklyDMs Thu 22-Oct-15 15:46:35

Thank you, I'm realising that I've been going about it all wrong- I've been trying calming things rather than things to use up energy.. Change of tack required. Rather intrigued by a body sock!

PolterGoose Thu 22-Oct-15 15:56:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sparklyDMs Thu 22-Oct-15 16:17:27

Thanks for the body sock pic - I can see that'd be right up his street!. I've also wondered whether to let him play a DS game at bedtime as he uses a screen to unwind after school, but it's like you say, contrary to the norm.
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now