Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD diagnosis

(5 Posts)
Pineapple5678 Wed 21-Oct-15 22:33:05

Today we went to the paediatrician. It was our first appointment and what I thought was going to be a question and answer session about the questionnaires myself and the school filled in. She said it's clear from the information she was that my son had ASD and ADD and gave me information websites etc and an appointment for a years time but I can call before if I want to medicate the ADD. That's it! What now?!?

He is 8 struggles at school socially and academically. He has no extra help or support, the school have been pretty useless really. I have appointment with senco etc tomorrow what do I say / ask for? Is there support built in to the system?

I'm so confused I expected extra tests many months of appointments etc and now I'm lost

How do I tell him?

MrsBrollyhook Wed 21-Oct-15 23:54:01

I'm probably not the best person to give advice as we're only 2 weeks past diagnosis. We were very much expecting an ASD dx so didn't have your bombshell. But we are being referred to the autism team who will go to school to advise, plus hopefully are being referred to camhs to see what they can do. So maybe ask the senco what support can be pulled into school such as autism team and what can they provide internal such as TA time, adapting the timetable, environment for your child's needs.
The best thing I have done in recent weeks is join the local branch of the NAS - good for support groups, courses etc - so far I've signed up for 2 next month so hoping they can be a source of info and contacts.

Toughasoldboots Thu 22-Oct-15 00:00:21

I would ask if they have social groups, what can they implement to help your ds, ie using fiddle toys, quiet area, whatever you think might benefit him.
Does he need input from salt, somewhere to go at break time?

I found very little support after dd diagnosis, I am no expert at all but mnet has always been there for me.
It's a huge shock I think, even when you are expecting a diagnosis.

Toughasoldboots Thu 22-Oct-15 00:02:14

Does he have an IEP? Not sure if it's still called that. You might want to look in to EHCP for the future too.

Pineapple5678 Fri 23-Oct-15 07:42:00

I had a meeting with the senco yesterday she said as his behaviour is good at the moment no new strategies are needed.
I pointed out its not just his behaviour I think we need to look at what about his social skills/ organisation etc
The class teacher said she had no experience of asd or add but she did think he understood her but chose not to follow the instriction?? how does she know he comprehends what is expected of him.
He attended a social skills club last year he does have a pathway plan but it's basic and says learn 4 and 6 x tables and listen when spoken too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: