Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Cerebral Palsy

(4 Posts)
SteamPunkGoth Wed 21-Oct-15 16:25:37

How does one go about getting a diagnosis for cerebral palsy?
I know it is generally diagnosed she the child is a baby. But he has other problems.
I've had to look up cerebral palsy today due to a child at school today & much of it rings true for my son.
But I also don't want to seem like a hyprachomdriac mum either.
He is 6 and a half so "late" for a diagnosis. But he has never been "tested" for it.
He does have hypotonia.

Thank you.

BobbyV Wed 21-Oct-15 18:52:44

Hi there
What makes you think its cp?
My lad is hypermobile and at one point was suspected for cp. He had a brain mri scan which was clear so it was ruled out. Mri isnt a difinitive dx tool if clear tho... they will take other symptoms into account too. Usually cp has a cause tho... trauma of some kind or genetics etc. Yr first point of call will be yr gp who will refer u to a paed for assessment/investigations. Good luck hun x

BobbyV Wed 21-Oct-15 18:55:40

It can also be caused during development issues with the brain whilst in the womb. I would have thought that would have been picked up before now tho hmm x

SteamPunkGoth Wed 21-Oct-15 19:39:40

Thank you. He's been diagnosed quite young & apart from genetics tests, he hasn't had any other tests like MRI etc which a lot of his peers have. They're under a different hospital who test far more thoroughly. He's not developing either. I have a paediatrician appointment for him in a few weeks & I've bagged the top one here, so will ask him then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now