Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Moving NHS trust areas - what happens?

(7 Posts)
bbkl Wed 21-Oct-15 08:40:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Wed 21-Oct-15 09:16:52

If the NHS involvement is via the primary care centre (ours do SALT, OT and comm paed) it is the NHS trust that serves the county that the school is in rather than parental address that determines where care is received.

DS2 received NHS care in one county due to the location of his school but both GP and home address were in another county. When we moved house and he had to move to an in-county school - although it was only 20 miles down the road - he was referred on to services in the school county.

Beware that different NHS areas have different policies and that this can lead to a loss of provision. In his old school, DS2 had termly visits by SALT and OT but in these parts both SALT and OT diagnose and discharge. Re-referral to SALT cannot happen within 9 months and OT re-referral is not possible until year 7. We are appealing his statement to have provision written in.

For other services not at the primary care centre my GP would give me a choice of which county hospital to refer to.

Schrodingersmum Wed 21-Oct-15 14:14:39

We have come across the opposite Im afraid, school is in county our address is city. Paed linked to school has to channel you to care in the right postcode area, we have had a number of delays when referrals have had to be re-sent to correct provider. Try and stay in the part of your area that school is located in it will be much easier in the long run

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Wed 21-Oct-15 14:25:56

Clearly the National Health Service really does have different policies in different areas - including regional policies relating to the regional delivery of NHS services!!

You need to find out what your local NHS policy is smile

bbkl Thu 22-Oct-15 22:21:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OneInEight Fri 23-Oct-15 07:27:18

We live at the border of two NHS authorities and our GP is happy to refer to both so I don't think you do have to live in the postcode area for all things. Mind you CAMHS from the non-residential area did bounce his back to our residential area but they argued this on the grounds it would be more efficient (what a joke) to access all the services from the same area rather insisting on transferring the case.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 23-Oct-15 09:55:03

We live in one authority and our GP is in another, he is happy for this to continue. He refers to either dependent on efficiency an we currently have a half and half split!

Dd3's statement will be maintained by our home authority!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: