Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I think my child has ADHD

(6 Posts)
MummyPig24 Mon 19-Oct-15 14:36:17

Over the last year ds1's behaviour has got worse and worse. He is almost 8. His problems at school are getting distracted and making silly noises. He is very impulsive, says and does things without thinking. He is very impatient. If for example he has a ball he absolutely cannot restrain himself from bouncing it, causes problems in P.E. He frequently appears not to hear me, and even when I hold his hands and look him in the eye he will still continue with the behaviour. It is almost impossible to distract him.

He is very bright and doing well academically. But he is anxious too, anxious about change and unknown situations and is very attached to me.

I have been doing some reading about ADHD and he seems to fit a lot of the criteria. We have parents evening this week and his teacher is SENCO so I will raise my concerns with her, and I know she has concerns too. I'm not sure I'm ready to face this and I just needed to write it all down.

frogsarejumpy Mon 19-Oct-15 16:35:34

Hi,
Just wanted to say that I've been there, it's hard when you start to think that there is something real there, not just immaturity and silliness. Your son may not have ADHD, but it may well be good to get an assessment. We noted down all our concerns and examples.
Although it was hard to hear, it was also really a relief when CAMHs actually felt it was significant enough to investigate. It wasn't in our minds any more.
Good luck

MummyPig24 Mon 19-Oct-15 17:30:04

Thank you. I was talking to my grandma and aunt about it earlier on and that helped too.

MummyPig24 Wed 21-Oct-15 10:15:53

We have parents evening tomorrow. How do I raise concerns and what do I do if she dismisses them? I don't think she will but you never know. When I try and explain it to people it just seems silly and petty.

MummyPig24 Fri 23-Oct-15 08:32:42

I know I have only received the one reply but I still feel the need to write this down. At parents evening last night the teacher said his reading is good, spelling needs a little work, beautiful handwriting but she is worried about his maths. He freezes in test situations and cannot get the correct answer. We regularly practice times tables at home and definitely seems to be getting it. He achieved the expected level in his year 2 SATs but has not made the expected progress in this half term. This worries me too. Apparently he will now put his hand up to answer a maths question but takes forever to answer because he stammers. He doesn't have a stammer in any other situation. He is obviously incredibly nervous about getting it wrong. He needs support in class a lot because he wants to constantly check that he's getting his work correct.

Behaviour wise she said they have some great day and some awful days and he is very easily distracted and drawn in to bad behaviour with a particular group of boys. I asked if there was anything that needed investigating and she said he takes things literally and has rigid thinking patterns. She said we could discuss it further at another time but that she wasn't thinking about investigating further just yet. He says he is happy at school but he's clearly struggling and we don't know why. Every other year in school he has been praised on his academic ability and hasn't had a problem. Is everything falling apart in year 3?

Ineedmorepatience Fri 23-Oct-15 08:38:43

Its a big jump from yr 2 to yr 3! Children are expected to be able to do alot more. It is still early days, why dont you see how he settles back after half term and go from there!

It does sound like he is struggling but it could all settle again!

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now