Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SEN school funding when living just outside of the county/catchment area

(6 Posts)
Orheonacho48 Mon 12-Oct-15 19:21:32

My son is three and has diagnosed ASD (somewhere in the middle of the spectrum) as well as sensory processing problems. He receives speech therapy/PORTAGE once every couple of weeks. He is currently at a mainstream nursery near his older brother's school. The school and nursery are both in a town around five miles from where we live (the schools where we live are less than desirable) and they are literally just a couple of miles into the neighboring county (it takes on average eight minutes to get there by car).

My younger son is due to start school next September, if he's ready that is. Most people can't tell that he is disabled at first until they realise he can't verbally communicate. I have decided to send him to the same school as his brother as he is improving every day and his disability doesn't seem problematic enough for him to be going to a special school (the nearest one to us is nearly 20 miles away anyway) he just needs someone in a couple of days a week. However the local authority have already refused to fund a SEN person to come into the nursery because of the catchment issues, and our local authority wont fund it for another borough either...

Sending him to a different school isn't an option really. I'm a single parent, and I can't be at two different schools for 9am/3:20pm everyday. Uprooting my eldest son from an outstanding school where he is settled and thriving and away from his friends that he's known since he was a baby to send him to one of the less desirable schools here is not an option either... (we live in a small town anyway where there's not exactly a whole lot of choice). So now I'm left with the options of move to the county (it's a very expensive area) keep him in the nursery for an extra year and hope that he improves enough to start school at five instead and wont need that support anymore, or pay for the SEN support myself (no one can really give me a clear idea of how much this would cost)

I would appreciate any advce/similar experiences! Thanks!

2boysnamedR Mon 12-Oct-15 22:26:00

I wouldn't pay for the Sen support yourself ( however I have - slt)

I'm not 100% sure as I haven't exactly seen this but my friends Dd lives out of county and the school have calling in the help ( therefore the la has little choice) I'm not sure how extensive the help is in school but the slt etc is under the school la funding area

GruntledOne Wed 14-Oct-15 00:42:23

Does he gave a statement or EHC Plan? If he does, and the LAW names a different school, it's highly likely he would qualify for free transport even if it' sunder two miles away.

c4kedout Wed 14-Oct-15 06:46:33

would not pay for SEN support either. not even sure this is possible (I assume you mean SEN support at school) and would cost £££.

If he is non-verbal (did I read that right?) then I guess he has significant needs.

Have you applied for an EHCP? if he would go to a special school you would usually get transport.

c4kedout Wed 14-Oct-15 06:47:47

I would also start looking at school, both MS and SS.

honkinghaddock Thu 15-Oct-15 15:51:56

As far as I know it doesn't matter which mainstream school your child attends. If the support is part of a ehcp, your local authority will have to fund it. They cannot say he has to attend a local school because a child who does not have sen does not have to do that so insisting your child does, would be discriminatory.
My son goes to a special school 30 miles away and it does not cause problems so I would not rule special school out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: