Social skills group for autistic children?

(14 Posts)
Yarnie Fri 25-Sep-15 16:28:22

I'm posting all over the shop today, but thought I might as well through this one out there, too.

Is there anyone in central/west London who would be interested in getting together a little social skills group for their autistic children?

We are an ABA family, so potentially we could get a consultant to help point us in the right direction and perhaps tutors could help facilitate? Or not? I was thinking after-school park meet ups, activities (climbing, trampolining, etc), Minecraft, trains...

Potentially siblings could be involved, too.

My son is 6 and at mainstream school with a full-time one to one. He is bright, and easy-going, with some lang/comm delays. Loves tech, Minecraft, trains and a bunch of other stuff.

Let me know if you're interested.

OP’s posts: |
Mrbrowncanmoo Fri 25-Sep-15 22:32:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yarnie Sun 27-Sep-15 23:43:29

Bumping. Anyone else interested?

ALemonyPea Mon 28-Sep-15 07:37:41

Have you contacted the NAS?

I live in the NE and my DS attends a social inclusion group which helps with social skills.

Youarentkiddingme Mon 28-Sep-15 08:40:47

I was going to suggest NAS.

My ds has just started Lego therapy (Lego club!) through them locally.

Yarnie Mon 28-Sep-15 09:13:57

I have contacted NAS as I live 2 mins from local branch, but they are currently only offering young adult/adult services.

QueenStarlight Mon 28-Sep-15 10:07:31

www.focusabalondon.co.uk/

This might be of interest to you all?

Yarnie Mon 28-Sep-15 11:40:53

Absolutely! They are planning a west London group, but not until next year. I'm planning on being involved. Would be lovely to have something in the meantime, though. And I think sort of group I was thinking of would be a great forum for practising skills learned in a slightly more formal setting like a Saturday school.

JEOK Wed 04-May-16 12:32:06

Hello Yarnie,

I know this is an old thread, but I wondered if you had been successful in setting up a group or finding one locally. We are also based in kensington and chelsea.

lamya190 Wed 04-May-16 22:52:23

Hi there, I take my son to see Ruth Jacobs bases in duke of York square, near Sloane Square . He has come on so so much since September since attending these groups

sh77 Thu 05-May-16 13:39:52

Lamya is she is a SLT?

twinkletoedelephant Thu 05-May-16 21:05:30

Lego club here too.
D's LOVES Lego club... His school have just started a social Lego club group

lamya190 Fri 06-May-16 06:56:34

Hi yes she is they do one to one therapy as well as groups,

Here is the website:

ruthjacobs.org.uk/

JEOK Fri 06-May-16 21:17:17

Ah great, thank you. We were attending a group there last year. Will have a look to see if there is a relevant group.

I've seen lego therapy before and it's fantastic. A little bit too advanced for us at this stage though.

Thank you

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in