An Ehcp worry has anyone done this?

(14 Posts)
shazzarooney99 Sun 13-Sep-15 21:06:13

I was reading the Sen code of practice before and it said that you can apply for an Ehcp if your child has not had a diagnoses of autism but you suspect the child has it. has anyone done this susscesfully?

School said before the hols we need to push hard for a diagnoses now, but after reading that i want to fight to get him an Ehcp.

The main reason i want it is he gets anxious in school and it builds all day as as soon as he gets home he explodes, if he had help in the day this might not happen,also the fact that all the help he did get was taken away,he was supposed to be in a sensory group on a thursday but that diddnt happen either.

so what do you think? im a being over ambitious? im just so fed up with faffing about and going round in circles!

OP’s posts: |
PolterGoose Sun 13-Sep-15 21:10:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shazzarooney99 Sun 13-Sep-15 21:19:49

Thanks poltergoose,my online community friends are keeping me sane at the moment, if it werent for all you lot i think id go insane.

I really think i need to do this, however i may have a stumbling block and they will say hes doing ok in school, when in fact i know hes anxious, espcially when he keeps talking about killing himself.

OP’s posts: |
Ineedmorepatience Sun 13-Sep-15 21:53:27

At the beginning of the process all you are actually doing is requesting that they assess him thoroughly! The EHC needs assessment should include all professional who are currently working with him plus and educational psychologist! So whoever is assessing him for Asd should be asked to write a report anyway!

Bare bear confused in mind that a parental request may be refused, but that is not the end of the story because you must appeal if you are turned down! This is because the LA's turn down parental requests becasue they hope you will shut up and go away! Dont!! Be a thron in their sides until they assess you son properly!

If you can possibly afford an independent ed psych assessment and or speech and language assessment then I would do it, they will show areas of difficulty and recommend provision!!

If you cant afford it, ask your NHS salt to do a complex communication asessment!

Good luck flowers

Ineedmorepatience Sun 13-Sep-15 21:55:06

Oh gee loads of typos sorry!!

"because" "thorn" blush

shazzarooney99 Sun 13-Sep-15 21:59:06

Ineedmore, im waiting to go on a socail communication corse for him with Salt at the moment, i dont have any money to go private, the last ed pych that was in for him pushed for an ados, after a 20 min ados all that came was he spoke in a monotone voice. i have tonnes of reports for him xx

OP’s posts: |
2boysnamedR Sun 13-Sep-15 21:59:53

You can apply yourself. It will almost certainly mean that the la get there ep in.

Don't pay for any private reports until you have to. Very few appeals for assesment get to a hearing.

If you do want a private report I did a £150 celf via a indi slt. It turned out to be a good baseline for later appeals, but you don't need to.

If you appeal, pace yourself and your funds

Ineedmorepatience Sun 13-Sep-15 22:11:09

Dont worry, I just thought I would ask! You will be fine, just put the request in and if they refuse it dig your heals in and appeal! Lots of LA's concede and if they dont you decide if you want to take it all the way to tribunal or not. You can withdraw your appeal right up until the week before!

BackforGood Sun 13-Sep-15 22:12:30

Agree with everyone else.
You can certainly apply yourself, and you can certainly apply for a child who doesn't have a diagnosis of anything.
The diagnosis is for a medical condition. You can have SEN, and a difficulty "accessing the curriculum" without having a medical diagnosis of anything. The EHCPlan is there to support the child accessing education.

If you put 'Local Offer' and the name of the area you live into your search engine, you should come up with information on how to apply.
The Council for Disabled Children have Independent Supporters there to help parents with the process - again, search your local area.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 13-Sep-15 22:13:11

Go on the IPSEA website to find out what you need to do to start the process! All you need to show is that your child has or may have special educational needs to trigger a statutory/ ehc needs assessment and if you have lots of reports you may already be able to do that!

Good luck and as 2boys says pace yourself!

shazzarooney99 Sun 13-Sep-15 22:30:03

Ive paced myself for the last 5 years xxx

OP’s posts: |
shazzarooney99 Sun 13-Sep-15 22:30:37

i meant to add an lol onto that, was distracted though lol

OP’s posts: |
Ineedmorepatience Sun 13-Sep-15 22:37:22

Yeah!! It is a loooong slow process, the wheels turn very very slowly in the world of sen! And the people who could be helping, really just want us to go away and leave them to take home their nice fat salaries in peace!!

shazzarooney99 Sun 13-Sep-15 22:56:51

Unfortunately thats true! i needmore................... they dont give a shit as long they get paid, whilst we as families suffer!!!!!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in