Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dyspraxia, (ASD?) school...

(4 Posts)
KidnappedByPenguins Thu 10-Sep-15 12:37:57

Been sent over here by someone after asking about DS and food. He doesn't seem to be able to tell when he is full or not.

He is having problems at school and his kindergarten teacher wants him to have some extra help before he starts school next year. He has seen a neurologist who says that there is nothing medically wrong with him, but he would suggest that he has dyspraxia. To get help in school he needs either a letter of recommendation from a child psychologist (sent to the school psychologist) or to see the school psychologist directly. We were advised to take this route as it would be the quickest way of getting him help.

He had previously seen a psychologist who assessed him as having zero cognitive skills and being on the autistic spectrum. Advice was to hold him back from kindergarten. The paediatrician said this was nonsense and we were inclined to agree as he loves being with other children and clearly does not have zero cognitive skills! She insisted on carrying out the assessment in his third language, in which he could not speak in sentences and we were not sure how much he understood. He is now in his second year and kindergarten and he loves it. His teacher not so much! He did not do a full week last year because she didn't want him in the gym class but has to this year. Today were the standard complaints, he wouldn't sit still, wouldn't stop talking, didn't pay attention, wouldn't answer questions etc.

We have a meeting with the school psychologist in a couple of weeks, and she has hinted that she doesn't think he will qualify for extra help. He at least cooperated with the the tests this time (he has had one and a bit years of schooling in his third language now, and she also speaks English if need be) and has said that he is ahead in some areas, but behind in others.

He does not follow instructions (he can't follow multi step instructions). I'm having a bad day today, I will admit. He ran away from me after I picked him up, DD followed laughing hysterically and when I caught them, he thumped me. How can I get Dd to understand that she just cannot copy everything her big brother does? He is 5, she is 3. We are not in the UK so he has one year left before he starts proper school. I am going to ask for Dd to go into the other kindergarten class so there's no chance of them being in the same class if when they hold him back a year.

2boysnamedR Thu 10-Sep-15 13:25:36

Hmm, hard to get any three year old to do anything you ask at the best of times so I don't have much advise there. My only nt boy is 11 so I am quite honest with him about his brother.

Chances of your child having zero cognitive skills is - zero! Was that person qualified? What a strange thing to say!

Over here you normally have a Ocupational therapist involved to diagnose dyspraxia. A lot of these conditions overlap and it can take a while to unpick what's going on

KidnappedByPenguins Thu 10-Sep-15 14:00:10

Yes, she was the child psychologist at the regional centre for child development... Refused to speak in DS's second language (even though she should be qualified in it as it's one of the local languages) because she was it comfortable speaking it hmm

He has just started seeing an occupational therapist as that can be done through the school at the teacher's request, if authorised by the headmaster.

KidnappedByPenguins Thu 10-Sep-15 14:12:48

Alone, she's not too bad. Together...

It's not just that, she's started shouting and growling at other children blush throwing things, rolling around on the floor when I ask her to get ready, hitting things and it's really a direct copy of what he does. I don't know how to explain to her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now