Grr, grr, physio ...

(3 Posts)
frazzledbutcalm Mon 07-Sep-15 21:36:25

Dd had her first appointment with physio today about her hypermobility.
Physio asked dd about frequency of pain/length of pain/times etc. Dd didn't answer, just sat there looking all shy. I started to tell physio about dd's symptoms. Physio stopped me, looked at dd, "juniorfrazzled, it's very important we hear about the symptoms from you, you must speak to me, you must tell me in your words how the pain affects your day, when it happens .. blah blah blah". I said "is it on the notes that dd has autism? therefore communication will be difficult?" Physio - No, reads through notes again, no, not there, no mention of autism!?!?!? Things got marginally better but she clearly had no understanding of how to engage with dd (or maybe even understand autism) sad

OP’s posts: |
KeepBadgering Tue 08-Sep-15 21:01:44

It's enough to make you want to swear at times in't it.

I got this often with my son so got into the habit of telling them up front he had autism, it becomes a habit.

Since he has dyspraxia we went through a stage where he was always falling over and hurting himself so we were in and out of A and E, so much so that they would try and ask him how he'd hurt himself (they obviously had child neglect/abuse in mind!). Of course he would not answer them! So glad he's a lot better co-ordinated now or I'm sure they'd have had social services on to me. Such fun

frazzledbutcalm Wed 09-Sep-15 10:29:08

Physio asked if dd had had any broken bones ... yes (amongst others) same wrist twice ... she then proceeded to say there'll always be a weakness in that wrist and that will be why dd experiences pain there when writing. hmm hmm

Stupid woman. Dd had hypermobile wrists LONG before she broken it, had pain LONG before she broke it, had pain when writing LONG before she broke it. AND hospital said that because she broke it when she was young there wouldn't be any weakness. Weakness comes from breaking as an adult when body is fully grown and bones are hard. Children's bones are soft.

Why oh why can't health professionals listen to us .. we know our children best!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in