Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.
This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
EHCP request(14 Posts)
i really need some advice please. I sent in my parental request for an EHCP last week and to my surprise they replied today and said that my request will go before a Statutory Assesment Panel next week! I expected them to take the full 6 weeks they're allowed to do this. I have been told over and over again that the borough I live in almost always refuses an Assesment so of course I want to make my case aS water tight as possible. I have given them copies of EP report, SALT reports and written a 6 page request documenting reasons why ds should be assessed. Do you think I should send at this point my emails that have gone backwards and forwards over the last 7 months at school which I clearly speak of ds anxiety and stress and the schools lack of meeting ds needs OR will this be over the top. Should I save them when it will be refused and I have to go to a tribunal? I have emails where I explain that ds absence is due to anxiety at school, usually following an incident with a NT child or a teacher. Should I just hit the panel with the whole lot at this point? Also, I can't afford a solicitor to help me so can someone recommend an organisation that could at least give me some support even if it's just a person who says - say this or say that. TIA
I would hold off sending in any more evidence till the Panel has met next week.
IPSEA's website is very helpful when it comes to EHCPs in any event and you may well want to talk to them as well in future (you can book a call with them). IPSEA are also fully independent.
Their web address is www.ipsea.org.uk
Best of luck for next week and do let us know how you get on.
Hi chow , I want to say send the emails! Mainly because I also live in a borough that resfuses most parentl requests. I have just helped my friend do one and the panel turned it down due to no EP involvment and no evidence of SEN support!!
The reason there is no evidence is that my friend cant even get her Dd close to Nursery/school never mind through the door!!
We sent tonnes of reports and stuff and still it was turned down!
If you have more evidence about the school not meeting his needs I think I would be inclined to send it unless you are worried about your relationship with school!!
'I have been told over and over again that the borough I live in almost always refuses an Assesment'
If that is the case, it really won't matter what you write. That doesn't mean that you won't eventually get an assessment, but it does mean that your evidence will be inconsequential until you hold them to account through the legal process unfortunately. And if you know already you will be required to do that, then you probably want to leave as much as possible until then so that they are unable to make their case against it in advance.
Also, if you get to negotiate, it is always useful for them to be able to say 'we have changed our minds based on new evidence' even though that is blatantly untrue.
Hi all, I think I have sent everything I have apart from the emails and when it goes to tribunal I will pull them out of the hat as I don't really have anything else to put on the table . Thank you for your suggestions though. I'm peeved with the senco tbh as she's pulled the rug from under me and said she 'now believes the school can meet his needs with the extra resources from September'. Now other professionals are looking on its dawned on her that more should be done for ds! It's like she's more accountable and wants the opportunity to shine and put things right .
The senco has probably been leaned on by the LA!! Ours was, it was her that suggested we put in a parental request and then when it was turned down and we met with the LA sen team manager suddenly the senco was saying Dd3 didnt need a statement and it was all fine!!
Keep pushing forward, you know you are right, stand your ground!!
'It's like she's more accountable and wants the opportunity to shine and put things right'
Perhaps. I wouldn't get sidetracked by her motives. Focus on the outcome you want. That isn't actually a EHCP. It is the appropriate provision for your child. Often this is only possible through a EHCP but not always.
We were originally turned down when we requested an assessment. After finding out their reasons for refusal, we then spent 6 weeks collecting the evidence to address there concerns.
Like you we had reports from various professionals, and also provided a log of incidents at the school, instances of where our son was unable to access the curriculum or socialization at lunch, specific concerns raised by the school, measures implemented already and the impact of these, and the challenges which we believed needed to be addressed.
Based on our experience, I wish we had submitted all the incidents and reports earlier as it would have saved us a lot of stress, worrying and running around as we tried to build a case of evidence to address their reason for refusing to do an assessment.
We also were in constant constant with the Ed Psych asking for advice on strategies to use when my son was struggling in school, which meant she had greater visibility of my Son's challenges when she was called on to write her report later on.
We have just received our EHC, (originally with 30 hours one-to-one support a week in a mainstream school bu now in the process of being adjusted to specify an ARP placement).
At no point have we had to appeal or go to tribunal - I do think this is because of all the evidence gathered and submitted.
Best of luck with the EHC - I do hope it goes smoothly for you as it can be quite a roller coaster ride for the whole family.
Hi all, i just wanted to update you. We have brilliant news. The LA have agreed to assess my DS. They have a meeting with us in November which is called a EHCP DRAFT MEETING. I have been told by the key worker that we will be given a plan at the meeting! Im not sure if thats quite right as I assumed they would at that point just tell us a yes or no with regards to getting a EHCP? anyway, no appeal needed just to assess so thats fantastic. thanks again for your help.
YAY! Good news, a step closer to hopefully getting tue provision your Ds needs
that is fantastic news, congratulations. Looks like all that evidence you submitted paid off.
Just a word of caution. Some LAs are producing drafts at the assessment stage automatically regardless of whether they actually plan to issue an EHCP. I think they find it easier to gather the information using that as a format and they then submit it all to the panel for a final decision.
So though it does sound positive, I'd hold the celebrations till you've had a definite yes. And if they do produce an EHCP, work hard to make sure that everything in part B is accurate and complete, and everything in Part F is properly specified and detailed.
Thanks Jeeves for the advice. I think I may have celebrated to soon as apparently what you have said in your second paragraph is what my borough now does . If at the stage when we go to a EHCP draft meeting they still decide it's a no to a plan, then I've been told they say to just use the information gathered as a guide for support at school. I.e, no plan but stick with what you've got and here's a few interesting pointers for the school.
And yes I will check part b and f.