Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Phenergan for sleeping?

(4 Posts)
YourFredIsBoring Thu 20-Aug-15 16:09:08

I was wondering whether anyone had been prescribed Phenergan for children with sleep difficulties?

DS is 7 and it's suspected that he has ASD. He has severe bedtime anxieties and can't fall to sleep for hours after going to bed.

He was just prescribed this as a short term solution until we see the the child psychologists or paediatrician who can perhaps look into prescribing melatonin.

I am reluctant, but if it really helps, I wouldn't mind giving it a try occasionally.

Thank you.

corporationbluetac Thu 20-Aug-15 17:27:15

Works here. Prescribed by CAMHS for my DS with ASD as melatonin not touching his sleep issues.

Give it a go. Been revolutionary in this house and has saved my sanity for sure.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 20-Aug-15 17:32:12

Used it yrs ago for Dd1, I didnt even know they still prescribed it!

It knocked Dd1 out cold for about 4hrs then she ran round the house like a loon for the rest of the night!

I would still say give it a whirl though because lots of people swore by it and probably still do.

Good luck flowers

Runningtokeepstill Thu 20-Aug-15 19:26:29

When my oldest DS was a baby, this was the only thing that could get him to sleep but he had (and still has) severe eczema so the anti histamine effect was also a big part of it. I think it he hasn't used it we'd all have cracked up as he was waking every 20 to 30 minutes and we were all really suffering from sleep deprivation. After a while on it he did get times when woke up in the night and became a bit hyper but he started sleeping better overall, so he stopped taking it.

He is now 21 and has just been prescribed Phenergan again as his skin is really bad and he can't sleep. It still works for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now