Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Advice please for 1st appointment with paediatrician for asd assessment

(6 Posts)
MrsBrollyhook Mon 17-Aug-15 22:45:36

We finally have just a week to go until we see the community paediatrician for the first step in an asd assessment. We have mentioned to DD that we have been trying to get advice about ways we can help her cope better and also so that we will be able to tell school what they need to do to help her. But so far we haven't told her about the appointment or mentioned asd. Does anyone have any advice on what to say to her to prepare her 1) so she understands a little about why we are going and 2) what is likely to happen at the appointment so that we can prepare her? Thanks so much if anyone can help.

bbkl Tue 18-Aug-15 00:12:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsBrollyhook Tue 18-Aug-15 07:05:39

Sorry bbkl I should have put her age. She's 10 so close to your DD. It would be great if you can let me know a little. I know it can vary between areas. Thanks.

youarekiddingme Tue 18-Aug-15 19:29:53

I did what you did. Said that he was going to talk to someone to see if we could find out why he got so worried and hurt himself and others sometimes.

It was whilst we sat in waiting room at Camhs and there was big board all about ASD, signs and symptoms, feelings etc.
DS looked up and said "I bet they say I have that" grin

MrsBrollyhook Tue 18-Aug-15 22:25:26

Thanks. I managed to speak to a Dr today to get some advice and she recommended the same approach - just giving examples of what she's finding difficult and explaining that we are trying to find ways to help cope better.

bbkl Wed 19-Aug-15 20:03:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now