Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Autism

(4 Posts)
lynbrown Fri 14-Aug-15 10:08:25

My GS aged 5 was recently diagnosed as autistic. Apart from the communication problems he is really suffering from a bowel problem. He is still in nappies and they are changed every hour. ( My DIL refuses to apply for free nappies as she doesn't like them!) He never passes a solid motion, it is like his poo is smeared on the nappy. The docs say his bowel will right itself in time and he gets different medicines each time he goes to the doc. I find this difficult to discuss with my DS and DIL as they are very defensive. I sometimes feel they don't push his needs enough and he could be getting more help. He starts school this week and I feel sorry for him and also for the poor teaching staff who will need to change his nappy so often, otherwise the smell will upset the other children. Will this improve?

zzzzz Fri 14-Aug-15 10:43:18

Why would you feel sorry for the teaching staff and other children? Shit is shit not something to be ashamed of and if this is the vibe you are giving off no wonder your DIL and Ds are defensive. Would you feel the same if he was incontinent due to being a paraplegic?

The Dr says "it will right itself in time", so I guess given he has studied medicine and this is his patient, his guess as to if it will improve is better than anyone here's. If you are asking if there are adult individuals with autism and toileting problems the answer is "yes".

There is very little help available, so it is highly unlikely that a child of 5, who's parents have achieved diagnosis is not having his corner fought robustly.

The single most helpful thing you can do for your GC is to support his parents. They are entering the world of school now. The will be subjected to endless judgement and sly sideways comments as to how they could do better. Sadly Autism is not that fixable and they will have to learn that their parenting however fabulous can only reduce the impact on their son not save him.

BlackeyedSusan Fri 14-Aug-15 12:54:28

bowel problems can be associated with ASD.

pass on the details of ERIC should they want to use them. (I ought to get commision, this is the third time I have posted this in about half an hour, but I still have notgot around to looking for the link)

be supportive. do not accuse. they are probably being defensive as they are sensing disapproval.

school will have facilities and a plan put in place. reception children are very accepting of others. At least some of the teachers in school will have had experience of this before.

Jasonandyawegunorts Sat 15-Aug-15 09:57:49

My DIL refuses to apply for free nappies as she doesn't like them
I sometimes feel they don't push his needs enough and he could be getting more help

Don't take this the wrong way but you seem to be under the impression there is more help out there than their is. It's not as easy as applying for free nappies, or pushing for help.

Will this improve
You've answered your own question:
The docs say his bowel will right itself in time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now