Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ABA for Autistic 2.9 month old son

(8 Posts)
JoC0913 Fri 14-Aug-15 07:36:22

Hi, my 2.9 month old son has been very recently diagnosed with autism. He doesn't say any words at all. He can be aggressive when things don't go his way and has lots of stimming and repetitive behaviours. I am trying to get advise on which therapies might be worth trying!? ABA has come up lots on Internet searches but i cannot seem to find anywhere local that does this. My son has started speech therapy but that's all. I also wondered about Mercury testing as I've read that this can also be beneficial. This is all very new to me and I just want to give my son the best head start. I will never give up hope for him! Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

boobybum Fri 14-Aug-15 18:55:59

Hello,
If you search this section there are loads of threads about ABA which will be useful.
In terms of finding an ABA consultant you should look on the BCBA website and then search for a consultant local to you (although don't worry if none seem close as they do travel or even do Skype).
There is also an ABA4All Facebook page and ABA Yahoo group which will be useful.
If you can't afford to fund an ABA program and if you meet their criteria then you may qualify for a grant from the Caudwell Charity.
Good luck.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 14-Aug-15 20:04:21

Hi JoC and welcome to the board, I hope you can find what you are looking for.

Good luck flowers

JoC0913 Fri 14-Aug-15 20:13:41

Thanks very much for that information! That definitely gives me somewhere to start! Thanks x

OgreIt Sun 16-Aug-15 05:44:33

Another place you might like to look is the book 'An Early Start for Your Child With Autism', which is based on the Early Start Denver Model (which incorporates principles of ABA). ESDM is a fairly new approach, developed at the University of California, Davis, and not offered in many places but I have been told by a number of people, including our developmental paed and our preschool, that it's a fantastic approach for little ones.

JoC0913 Sun 16-Aug-15 07:25:38

Thanks! I'll definitely check that out! Thanks for your help.

bodenbiscuit Sun 16-Aug-15 14:39:07

Hi OP, are you talking about chelation therapy?

I ran a programme for my dd, who is now 13 for about 8 years and we got LA funding. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I would second the suggestion of joining the yahoo group, ABA UK.

bodenbiscuit Sun 16-Aug-15 14:41:58

I've run programmes under UK YAP (lovaas) and Sean Rhodes (VB)

I couldn't recommend Sean enough - he's excellent and also very good at working with other agencies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now