Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Optician said eye convergence? Anyone know more..

(10 Posts)
greener2 Thu 13-Aug-15 13:47:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WildStallions Sat 15-Aug-15 14:09:23

I know about eye convergence.

Eye convergence problems are common in children with ASD / ADHD / Dyspraxia and Dyslexia. (Well more common than the general population).

It means she can't focus both eyes together - or if it's a mild problem it means she can focus both eyes together, but not for very long.

It's a fine motor skill, which is why children with dyspraxia etc can also have this problem.

It causes all sorts of problems. Lots of dyslexic symptoms like text moving or being blurry. It can also mean she doesn't look at the board (for very long) or look at the teacher because instead she is resting her eyes by looking at something further away (like staring out the window)

You may not notice any symptoms, or you may notice that she is behind in her reading, or struggles to copy off the board, or when she is writing she lies with her head on her arm (which means she is only using one eye to see with which helps her)

Engaging Eyes is the best thing to help with it.

Ineedmorepatience Sat 15-Aug-15 16:05:01

Dd1 had prismatic lenses in her glasses to help with it! I have no idea if it helped her or if she still has them but I can ask her smile

greener2 Sat 15-Aug-15 20:32:54

Ineedmorepatience Sat 15-Aug-15 20:40:16

I will ask her tomorrow smile

notapizzaeater Sat 15-Aug-15 21:26:02

I was just coming in to say engaging eyes, but I've been beaten yo it grin

WildStallions Sun 16-Aug-15 07:47:00

Greener Here are some reasons the optician might have said to come back in 6 months:

1. You're only entitled to a free (NHS) eye test every 6 months, so if you came back sooner he'd have to charge you. (And he's probably assumed you don't want to pay without even asking you)

2. Opticians make their money by selling glasses. He won't make any money from you by diagnosing convergence problems. (Unless he prescribes prism lenses, which most opticians don't)

Letter reversals is normally due to eye tracking problems. (Which is also helped by playing Engaging Eyes)

Writing and spelling should improve if she has convergence problems and you improve her convergence.

What I don't understand is why he has to test her after school! If she has convergence problems (and it sounds like she does) you can measure that any time of the day.

greener2 Sun 16-Aug-15 09:58:39

WildStallions Sun 16-Aug-15 11:30:50

I would do Engaging Eyes in the mean time smile

It's something you can do now, which will probably help. I can't see any reason to wait.

greener2 Sun 16-Aug-15 12:49:14

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now