Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

4 yr old ASD zero interest in toys - advice please

(13 Posts)
amunt Tue 11-Aug-15 22:08:32

Ds has nothing but a fleeting interest in any toys and no interest in TV or ipad/computer. This makes it very difficult when we visit relations as we can't spend every single minute amusing him and he consequently ends up being (not wholly intentionally) destructive and agitated.

Any advice from someone with a similar experience gratefully received.

PolterGoose Wed 12-Aug-15 11:11:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

amunt Wed 12-Aug-15 17:30:49

Thanks PolterGoose. His heaven is IKEA - opening oven doors, lifts and toilets.

I'm pretty confident that we have tried every kind of toy. Fiddly, flappy, flying, remote, marbles, puzzles, sensory etc... Sometimes something will hold his interest for a couple of minutes and then that's it. Electric screwdriver lasted a bit longer than average.

PolterGoose Wed 12-Aug-15 17:50:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarySlessor Wed 12-Aug-15 18:02:11

My ds was the exact same at 4. I found visiting people exhausting. It is much better now he is 7. He does actually sit and play with toys , a tablet or watch tv.

yakkiyakkiyogi Wed 12-Aug-15 19:07:38

With my DS (3.4 now) it was a similar situation till he started at nursery at 2.8 yrs. It was a small creche setting which I now know is slightly different from a typical nursery attached to a school. He would simply knock down any toys on the tables that he saw and all he's do was walk around the room. After what seemed like ages he started taking interest in pop up toys such as toy animal farm but with an interest span of a few seconds only. By the end of his time there, he is also playing with posting toys such as piggy bank with coins and attention span has increased to up to 15 minutes!!!!

Does your DS go to nursery? I've recently had to move him to a new nursery attached to a mainstream school and although he hasn't started there yet but I've found out that they don't have such toys as these are for younger children like 1 year olds and will need to procure on the advice of ASD Outreach.

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 12-Aug-15 19:36:37

What if you got him a load of doll house stuff so he can make a mini Ikea?

amunt Thu 13-Aug-15 20:20:45

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice - much appreciated.
Jasonandyawegunorts:Ha, nice suggestion, but only full scale would do.
PolterGoose: we did think about play kitchen, but when he tried it at a friend's it got the usual treatment.
MarySlessor: Thanks, that's encouraging!
yakkiyakkiyogi: Unfortunately he shows the same disinterest in toys (and children)at nursery, so lots of trouble and I'm dreading school starting in September.

MabelBee Thu 13-Aug-15 20:37:13

Would he play with a latch board? I've seen some really involved ones with doorbells and all sorts. But even just latches, bolts and locks are good, maybe he'll like them because they aren't toys?

www.pinterest.com/explore/latch-board/

zzzzz Fri 14-Aug-15 13:07:58

What does he do when not playing (ie how do you entertain him when toys have failed?)

What is it he likes about ikea?

In all honesty few 4 year olds play politely while you talk to your friends. You may be chasing an impossible dream.

If you wanted to introduce ipad/dvd then I would say the car would be your best option. (I am not saying this is needed, just how I would do it). I would sit next to him in his car seat and play something attractive on the ipad (montessorium's intro to maths is ideal www.montessorium.com/math/ ) Do not share immediately if he shows interest.

amunt Fri 14-Aug-15 14:38:34

zzzz: thanks for the link, I'll try it. I'd settle for him playing impolitely smile, like his two year old sister. I suppose it's to do with attention span - in Ikea he can flit from tap to tap from door to door, drawer to drawer etc.. Our days are based around meals, car and walks. He will fiddle with a toy for an extended period if forced, i.e. we can go out when you have done this for 10 minutes, but there's no pleasure in it.

zzzzz Fri 14-Aug-15 14:57:49

Curiosity may be maddening but it will probably help in the long run. Is he verbal? Can he copy?
For mine doors with a bit of resistance were interesting. ie soft shut or fridge doors. so magnets were interesting.

Does he sleep and eat well? ds is a different boy when we can win on sleep and food. Do you have a trampoline? If not buy the biggest one you can fit/afford.

amunt Fri 14-Aug-15 15:49:29

I think it may be more a sort of stim than curiosity. He's verbal and he has some ability to copy, but because he is so incredibly oppositional, he resists copying or following any instructions that would enable him to enjoy an activity. Trampoline is a good idea, will investigate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now