Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

So I finally accept it is anxiety and not asd/add

(14 Posts)
greener2 Mon 27-Jul-15 19:46:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2catsfighting Mon 27-Jul-15 22:04:57

What would be different if there had been a different diagnosis?

greener2 Mon 27-Jul-15 22:27:05

LeChien Mon 27-Jul-15 22:31:24

What makes you think ASD rather than anxiety?

My ds didn't get a dx through the nhs as they stated learnt behaviour and possibly extreme anxiety, he now has a dx of HFA/PDA, which takes into account the high anxiety and better surface social skills than typically seen in ASD.

Waitingforsherlock Tue 28-Jul-15 08:59:48

How old is your dc? Are they a boy or a girl?

greener2 Tue 28-Jul-15 09:54:42

VioletBumble Tue 28-Jul-15 11:40:46

Did they say why she didn't meet the criteria? Are they offering any treatment options? I suppose at least if she has an official diagnosis of clinical anxiety then school etc will have to take it seriously, and you can suggest strategies to them if there are things you think they could be doing. Sympathies, the not knowing for sure is a horrible position to be in.

My DD (9) has no diagnosis of anything (so nothing on paper at all), but has been seen by CAMHS as she is 'an anxious child'. She is anxious about a lot of things (from what I've read it sounds like generalised anxiety, social anxiety, emetophobia and selective mutism are all part of the mix). I'm pushing for ASD assessment as it seems to make sense to know what's at the root of the problem but it's taking ages.

PolterGoose Tue 28-Jul-15 14:27:47

2boysnamedR Tue 28-Jul-15 15:03:11

Agree to asking what's missing to make it not asd. I suspected my ds2 was missing key traits ( routines) and talking to DK about that being a key factor I was happy it's not ASD ( well in truth I will doubt a bit until he's past 12).

I don't see this in ds3 either ( who has got ASD) so it's all a bit confusing.

What works well with ds2 when I though he had asd still works for him. I still treat him like he's got ASD. I'm pretty sure his path has a while to get pinned down.

It's always a working progress with our kids. You can stop and sit for a while with this dx and use the coping strategies for anxiety. If later if still doesn't feel like the right fit you can look again

2boysnamedR Tue 28-Jul-15 15:04:36

Also getting a dx doesn't really give me the closure I thought it would. I still feel lost alone confused and scared. Just a bit more certain I'm always right grin

Waitingforsherlock Tue 28-Jul-15 16:56:30

Have you thought about The Lorna Wing Centre in London? Dr Judith Gould who is director there is an expert in ASD and girls, particularly, unusual or difficult to spot cases.

My dd aged 12 has just been diagnosed there despite no other professional spotting it; she is, apparently, a consummate masker. I would say that if they couldn't see it at the LW Centre you could be satisfied that it wasn't there. I went with my gut instinct; I knew there was something behind her anxiety but I didn't know what. Now I do.

Cantthinkstraight7 Tue 28-Jul-15 18:30:24

In all honesty, I'd be asking for the experience with diagnosing complex cases/girls, from the team who assessed her.

My daughter was completely ignored until she failed miserably at secondary school. sad angry

If you can, have the energy, and really believe you're right, then push for that referral. Especially to The Lorna Wing Centre as previously mentioned.

Does your DH know how hard girls are to diagnose? Maybe find some details from Tony Attwood online and show him.

greener2 Tue 28-Jul-15 21:29:35

Pomegranatemolasses Tue 28-Jul-15 23:47:49

We were told that Ds2's 'issues' were primarily due to anxiety. Whilst I agree that he can be a very anxious boy, finally this year at the age of 12, he has been diagnosed with ADHD and ODD.

Of course his anxiety is very real and is always there to some extent, but we now know that it is a symptom/side effect/co-morbid with the ADHD.

It is a huge relief to have a diagnosis, after years of him almost, but not quite getting by in school.

He is very bright, sociable and popular, so possibly this is why it has taken years and numerous interventions and assessments to reach this point.

If you feel there is something more than anxiety in the mix for your DD, then leave no stone unturned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now