Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

PIP Assessment

(19 Posts)
cricketballs Mon 20-Jul-15 16:27:08

my DS who has MLD and ASD turned 16 last month. As he is currently receiving middle rate DLA we have done the appointee appointment which confirmed that I needed to act as his appointee and I completed his PIP form last week. We have had a letter from Capita to say they will be assessing him and it could be a while until the assessment.

My question is though what happens in the assessment? I have found countless stories online with regards to physical assessments/disabilities but have not found any 'real life' information for MLD/ASD; anyone care to share their experience of what actually happens in the assessment?

Jasonandyawegunorts Mon 20-Jul-15 18:04:23

Mine was the worst experience of my life, the nurse told me that "If i wanted handouts the job centre would be better"

She didn't read the information included with the form and i scored 0 in every area, Including communication and social interaction as i showed no impairment (thereby curing me of 2 or the 3 triads of impairment. She thought I was faking disbite 2 doctors letters and one from the college learning support)

The fact i bed-wet wasn't relevant, and bying my own pads meant I was able to work with money. Because i can use a microwave i can cook, because i can paint models as a hobby it means my motor co-ordination is perfect.
It was completely horrible.

frazzledbutcalm Mon 20-Jul-15 19:12:53

Oh no jason ... sad

Dd has just turned 16 and we have to change he to PIP. I'm convinced she's going to end up with nothing despite receiving mrc and lrm on DLA. It's an awful worrying time sad

Jasonandyawegunorts Mon 20-Jul-15 19:49:05

With luck you will get a better assessor. Sadly it all seems to come down to their opinion.

MairOldAlibi Mon 20-Jul-15 20:17:46

Don't worry, Frazzled

There is a reconsideration process for when the assessor royally c*cks up makes an unexpected decision, given the evidence. A manager looks at all the file, including, but not limited to, any notes the 'assessor' made.

You just phone up within 1 month, and say 'please reconsider'
and (but only if you want to), you can submit any additional evidence eg latest hospital letters, an explanation of why you think the assessor was a complete numpty in error; a statement from someone who helps you

Should that fail, and you still think they got it wrong, you phone again, and say 'please pass this for a formal appeal'. At that stage there are a few forms to fill out, and a lot of people resubmit all their original paperwork in case it mysteriously and conveniently gets lost is misdirected between the DWP offices and the appeal judge's desk

DWP obviously wants to make the reeconsideration/appeal processes look too hard to bother with, but it's not that bad- and nearly everyone wins

Jasonandyawegunorts Mon 20-Jul-15 21:28:36

There is a reconsideration process for when the assessor royally c*cks up makes an unexpected decision, given the evidence. A manager looks at all the file, including, but not limited to, any notes the 'assessor' made.

I dind't know i could do this, There is no phone number on my letter?

bitbap18 Mon 20-Jul-15 22:55:25

We've only been through it as an adult for hubby. He has Aspergers. We had ATOS do the assessment. It was basically asking questions about similar things to the form. In essence it was a waste of our time. They didn't read the medical report, claimed he had lots of knowledge of Aspergers and Autism and the report he wrote makes shocking reading! He just kept referring to the fact he can work part time, drive a car and read emails! Unsurprisingly dwp scored him zero points, because the report is so shit! We've been through reconsideration stage, and despite more info and a whole load of clarification from me, they have still given him zero. We are now appealing, with the help of a local charity and our MP has written to DWP, ATOS and the appeals service stating how disgusted she is at our treatment!

It is probably totally different for teenagers transferring over, and most I have heard I'd have a home visit when the assessment is done. We had to do a 120 mile round trip for hubby's!

Good luck with it all and I hope the process is better for you.

Jasonandyawegunorts Tue 21-Jul-15 02:30:43

I'm so glad i wasn't the only one who was treated like shit.

cricketballs Tue 21-Jul-15 05:24:55

I'm actually having dreams that they don't believe that he can't prepare food and make him use a sharp knife with me not in the room and having to run him up to A&E.... The stories I've heard are horrendous

Jasonandyawegunorts Tue 21-Jul-15 07:49:13

I'm actually having dreams that they don't believe that he can't prepare food and make him use a sharp knife with me not in the room and having to run him up to A&E

I said this, i was told i can make cheese on toast and warm things up ina microwave, So im fine.

I'm at a total loss what to do now in all honesty. The first time i ask for help i get the worst experiance of my life.

Jasonandyawegunorts Tue 21-Jul-15 07:53:11

I can write becuase my co-oprdanation is so bad, so i printed out my answers on a seprate file of paper. She didn't read any of it as it was "Excessive", none of my answers. And the letters backing up my claims were "too old to be taken seriously"

And becuase i can paint models I apparently do not have any problems with motorskills.

Marioswife Tue 21-Jul-15 13:36:23

This sounds terrible for all. flowers

NoRunAround Tue 21-Jul-15 15:07:53

Hi, my dd is undergoing transfer to PIP. We requested a home assessment and last week an ATOS health professional carried out an assessment. It lasted almost 2 hours.

The assessor basically went through the PIP form and scored as she went along. For the reading question, dd was asked to read one paragraph from a card. She was also asked to grip something in her hand and move her feet from side to side.

We were then handed an information leaflet about what happens next, and how to complain!

All in all, the assessment process itself wasn't too daunting. However the assessor had a very basic grasp of the complex conditions dd has.

I have no idea how it went, and should find out in 6-8 weeks!

MairOldAlibi Tue 21-Jul-15 16:01:40

Jason
If there's no phone number you might be best to send a short letter to the address on the decision. I've summarised what I think the various threads said wink

"Dear dwp
'Please can I have a mandatory reconsideration'

A person on mumsnet said I should contact you because I was so upset at how the assessment was handled. I told her the assessor was rude, didn't listen, and that she refused to look at my evidence.

The lady on the internet said that's often how mistakes happen, and I should give the dwp a chance to put it right"

Your other option is the rather variable dwp call-centre helpline - occasionally they're truly excellent, but a letter might be easier & not use all your phone credit

basic Dwp info about reconsiderations

Middle ground

Useful but very, very detailed advice

Jasonandyawegunorts Tue 21-Jul-15 16:07:08

I was seriously considering sending a letter containing a test tube with red food colouring in and calling it my Blood sweat and tears, plus a sample of the shirt off my own back.

MairOldAlibi Tue 21-Jul-15 16:14:25

grin

<sorry, computer says no,
scanner only takes A4>

cricketballs Sat 25-Jul-15 10:35:14

NoRun - thanks for that; he has his assessment at home in a couple of weeks - your post is very reassuring

cricketballs Wed 05-Aug-15 22:43:56

So, appointment tomorrow (at home) and I have to provide 2 forms of ID or they "will be unable to continue with the consultation"; one from category A and one from Category B, if no photographic ID then 2 documents from category B.

Cat A
UK or Foreign passport
Foreign National ID Card
UK Photo Card Driving Licence
Passport
Northern Ireland Electoral Identify Card
Bio metric Residence Permit issued by UKBA
UK Travel Pass with photograph

Cat B
birth certificate, UK and Foreign
Marriage certificate, UK and Foreign
Decree Absolute, UK and Foreign
UK Driving Licence (old style, no photograph)
Naturalisation/UK citizenship certificate
UK Council/Housing Association rent agreement document
UK Council/Housing Association tenancy agreement document
UK Council Tax demand
UK Utility Bill
UK evidence of entitlement to State or local authority benefit

Luckily, my DS has a valid passport and I have his birth certificate, but what if he had no passport?

How many 16 year olds have 2 lots of Cat B documents, what happens to them?

Can the DWP really expect younger claimants to really have these documents? What happens to those who don't - tough luck?

MairOldAlibi Tue 11-Aug-15 09:36:32

UK evidence of entitlement to State or local authority benefit
Child benefit letter would count, I presume

UK Travel Pass with photograph Does this mean a bus pass?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now