Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Statement for home education

(14 Posts)
sugaraddict Mon 20-Jul-15 14:46:12

After two failed attempts at mainstream secondary school, the LEA have conceded that DD age 13 is unable to access an education through school due to her high anxiety. We have a statement review meeting tomorrow and are unsure as to what to expect. She's already met a tutor with a view to them teaching her in September but are unsure what else to ask for.
The LEA say that it is a very unusual situation for them too and seem to be putting the onus on us to ask them for provision.

Has anyone on here been in a similar situation or have any ideas about what we should try for? We're feeling out of our depth but really want to get it right this time.

sugaraddict Mon 20-Jul-15 15:58:16

Forgot to say that she has AS

Ineedmorepatience Mon 20-Jul-15 16:25:49

I spoke to IPSEA not long ago about HE and they said that the LA can put educated elsewhere or something similar on the statement instead of naming a school and that way you can still access the provision on the statement. If you put Home educated then the LA can wriggle out of any provision!

You could try ringing them or looking up Education Otherwise or there are lots of Home ed groups on Facebook with some really helpful people on.

Good luck flowers

JazzerciseThis Mon 20-Jul-15 18:35:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alwaysreading Mon 20-Jul-15 21:22:48

We’re in a similar position to you (haven't met anyone else so we must be unusual!) Ds isn't going to school and has LA tutors at home. His statement is being transferred to a EHCP and IPSEA advised us to specify home tuition via school in Section I. We’re waiting for a reply! IPSEA said that there is legal precedent for this - I’d ask them for advice.

Icimoi Mon 20-Jul-15 21:45:37

Yes, make sure you don't let them put anything to the effect that you have opted for home education, they will say that means you have taken responsibility. You should ask for home tuition, and ask for provision in the statement to make sure that it fits with that - for instance if she needs occupational therapy which involves suspended equipment it may have to happen at the therapists' clinic, and if she wants to do science there may have to be some sort of arrangement for access to a lab.

Schrodingersmum Mon 20-Jul-15 22:05:20

We have a very similar DD almost 13, now very sucessfully being educated at home by Interhigh funded by LEA via the pupil referral unit.
Lots of kids just like yours at Interhigh and her placement could be named on statement or EHCP so LEA remain her education provider

Tissie Mon 20-Jul-15 22:15:02

I had exactly this situation with a girl at my secondary school with very high anxiety. Because she had a statement it was up to the school toprovide home ed whilst she worked on getting to school. This was demanded by the LA. Now I have to admit they didn't provide much 2 hrs per week Eng A level, 2 hrs per week French and email support for A level art. It was through the art that she got back into school after 18 mths. There were days when I had to meet her at the door and walk her to her classes but she did integrate into subject classes and we did not try to make her attend other activites including registration. Persevere. It can happen.

alwaysreading Mon 20-Jul-15 22:40:00

In his EHCP we asked for tuition at home delivered by the LA. At the moment he’s getting a couple of hours tuition a day at home (as a minimum they have to teach maths, english and science). He now goes out to an alternative education provider as well a couple of times a week.

sugaraddict Tue 21-Jul-15 12:19:03

Thanks everyone for sharing your advice and experiences. Will definitely speak to IPSEA.
Meeting very soon, feeling a bit anxious. Will report back on how it goes! Thanks again

Cantthinkstraight7 Tue 21-Jul-15 16:29:29

I'm in a very similar position with my DS, who is 12. I don't know what else to do.

I hope the meeting went well for you (everything crossed)

jbean66 Thu 23-Jul-15 14:13:21

It is very important that you make sure that your LA remains responsible for providing your daughter's education. Your daughter is entitled to 25 hours of education/provision each week and you have the opportunity to design a unique programme around her.

My son used to attend an independent Autism-specific residential special school and when we discovered that he was interested in repairing computers, I fought for him to have 'work experience' with the school's I.T. technician. Later, as part of a transition plan, my son attended the school for part of the week, had a carer from the school some days who took him out and about in the community to build up his social skills and the technician came to our home on the other days to tutor him. My son left the school at 18 and the LA tried to force him into college, but he had tried a part-time course while still at the school and was unable to cope. I managed to get funding from our LA for an elective home education programme, and for the last 2 years have used it to employ the I.T. Technician on a full-time basis to help my son work through trade certifications so that he can become a technician himself. Have just won a third year of funding and am starting up a company to provide him with employment and to offer training and work experience to other youngsters with Autism.

My point being that while there are certain restrictions for pupils still in compulsory education, there is also room for you to be creative and to design your home programme around your daughter's interests - especially if you are creating a route into employment or finding an imaginative way of addressing her SEN and anxiety.

LA's tend to opt for what has been done before, is cheap and easy, but your daughter has a statement and provision still needs to be made to for each of her difficulties - so encourage them to think outside the box!

Good luck!

li33i Thu 23-Jul-15 18:50:43

Hi all. Our boy is just 6 and we already have one failed school attempt behind us. He is diagnosed with autism and I have not been impressed whatsoever with the provision in schools for autistic kids - especially bright ones. We home educate at present, and we were put off from applying for a EHCP - it's only an issue with education we have, not health or care, and we are not prepared to put our boy through all the various tests and form filling and basic faff at this young age. I just wonder what else we might be entitled to. We currently pay for a private tutor for 2 sessions a week, and as I am in my final year of degree (English) I've been doing the majority of the rest. Our boy is very clued up with electronics and numbers and I do wonder whether the LA would cover any costs for us to employ a specialist electronics tutor, or even autism experts who charge a small fortune. Has anyone else had any success being funded for home education by the LA? Did you need an EHCP? Did you need a certain amount of failed school attempts? Any advice would be gratefully received x

lutra3d Wed 29-Jul-15 23:54:06

The LA is responsible for meeting the child's needs as set out on the statement (or EHCP) and it is the responsibility of the LA to provide education if your dd is unable to attend school due to her anxiety.

'The LEA say that it is a very unusual situation for them too'
Don't believe it - they will be reluctant to provide the funding for home tuition more like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now