Can anyone recommend an Educational Psychologist?

(17 Posts)
amumof2 Wed 15-Jul-15 12:42:25

We are looking for an EP to help with our application for funding for a special school.

OP’s posts: |
Bigbird69 Wed 15-Jul-15 16:03:40

Which area are you?

amumof2 Wed 15-Jul-15 18:47:18

Hi we are in Merton

OP’s posts: |
Bigbird69 Thu 16-Jul-15 14:02:13

We used john McKeown - he's in Brighton, covers southeast. Very experienced with tribunal etc

LacedUp Thu 16-Jul-15 14:51:48

Sorry to jump in Bigbird - can you recall how much it was for a full assessment, and do you think he covers Hampshire?

Bigbird69 Fri 17-Jul-15 08:01:36

Hi, I paid a good £500 back in 2013 and that was just the assessment. I didn't end up needing his professional services to fight the school place (maybe his report was enough?!) but I was prepared to as I'd heard he is good. Three different people recommended him when I was looking. He's called john McKeown and the company is MPA associates in Brighton, so worth having a look at the services and area covered. We're on the wear Sussex Hampshire border.

LacedUp Fri 17-Jul-15 10:09:41

Thanks Bigbird. I've just looked at his website. They seem to break down the Ed Psych services into smaller areas. Do they do a full assessment (ie what a LA Ed Psych would do) or do you have to bolt on bits that you want, do you know?
Thanks for your time smile

ASDMum1973 Fri 17-Jul-15 13:57:43

Depending on what kind of Ed Psych you are looking for I know several good ones who cover Autism or Dyslexia etc. You want an Ed Psych that comes to you and that will also go and see your child in their educational setting. And one that is prescriptive, who writes the level of support required in terms of hours per week and details what qualifications those affording the support need to have. None of this "access to" language which is totally unenforceable if not received.

Bigbird69 Fri 17-Jul-15 21:50:51

I found him or be very thorough and comprehensive. Included plenty of time speaking to me about what we as parents needed to learn and where we should go from the findings, hence me recommending. Obviously your child has very individual needs bit I would recommend a conversation to see if it's what you need smile

amumof2 Wed 29-Jul-15 11:55:24

Thanks bigbird.

ASDMum please can you let me know of one who does tribunal reports for children with ASD.

OP’s posts: |
mumsuz Wed 29-Jul-15 12:56:49

Hi there

We used David Urani who saw our DD in her school setting.I think ASD is one of his areas of expertise. He is based in the South some where I think but came up to London see our DD. He was very good and clear in his report and answered lots of our questions in our follow up meeting.

We were using the report in an appeal against a refusal to assess. Didnt go to Tribunal in the end as the LEA agreed to assess some weeks before the Tribunal.

PM me if you want more details.

2boysnamedR Wed 29-Jul-15 13:58:07

Another David U customer here. Not got to our third tribunal yet.

He's based near Wales but travels all over

Icimoi Fri 31-Jul-15 23:22:04

Ruth Birnbaum is good with tribunal cases -

jigster01 Sat 01-Aug-15 10:30:16

Agree ...Ruth Birnbaum helped us win our indi placement ..

adrianna22 Sun 02-Aug-15 13:28:44

Is David Urani still doing tribunals? I wanted to use him but I was told he doesn't do tribunals anymore..

2boysnamedR Mon 03-Aug-15 21:42:06

I hope David is, he's doing ours in October. Ask him, he was very helpful and willing to answer my endless questions before I went with him

Pebbles72 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:21:40

We used David Urani too (in 2013) and I would thoroughly recommend. He was based in Bristol at that time but happy to travel. He was also spending part of the year in Australia.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in