Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Well, it's nearly the end of an era (sorry, it's a bit soppy)

(13 Posts)
PandasRock Tue 14-Jul-15 22:51:43

Dd1 is about to finish primary school shock

How did that happen?!

I first came here a long time ago, when she was still undergoing dx - amost 10 years ago shock shock

What a decade it's been. We've been through some major issues - fluid refusal, stopping eating, severe sleep issues arising out of nowhere. Statementing (and all that entails!) and tribunals. Biomed and ABA.

And through it all, dd1 has been slowly but surely steadily moving on. She is completely unrecognisable from the passive, withdrawn child she was, with only echolalic language and no playskills.

She has taught herself to read and write (thank the Lord for iPads!) and tell the time. She is working on her times tables (because dd2 is working on her times tables!). She has competed in a sport, getting through to the national finals. She is working on roller skating now, and her new targets at school include baking and budgeting - inconceivable only a few years ago! She enjoys crafts, especially sewing. She still sings grin, although thankfully she is giving the Adele songs a rest for now (some of you may remember my thread about her incessant singing of Adele songs)

She is amazing, and she is growing up. My little baby, my pfb. Nearly as tall as me (but still wants to sit on my lap grin). I am so unbelievably proud of her - every infuriating, lovable inch of her.

And now we're back to wondering what the future holds. She is staying at her brilliant school for secondary, so in a way we know, but it still feels different. A major milestone for any child (and for once one that dd1 will pass at the same time as any other child!).

PolterGoose Wed 15-Jul-15 06:28:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 15-Jul-15 08:05:14

Awesome pandas I remember the Adele obsession! grin

Your Dd has done brilliantly, well done to her and you and I hope it continues.

Good luck flowers

PandasRock Wed 15-Jul-15 10:48:33

Thanks smile

I've just searched for the Adele thread and read through - oh it made me laugh. How I remember my despair and you lot all just told me she was cute and fabulous grin

Times have moved on - she's still singing but these days it's Breakfast at Tiffanys and an annoying phonics song. Oh, and she's managed to teach ds a couple of Take That songs which are a whole lot more irritating to hear since he is 2, and sings tunelessly grin

Cantthinkstraight7 Wed 15-Jul-15 10:56:50

What a lovely post flowers

StarlightMcKenzee Wed 15-Jul-15 11:48:39

Enjoyed reading that. Well done to dd, and well done to you.

I always wonder how I would answer the common interview question 'what achievements are you most proud of?' Or 'what is you biggest success?'

If I was honest it would involve something to do with DS' progress and I would no doubt subsequently remain unemployed. grin

Polarmouse Wed 15-Jul-15 14:49:31

She sounds fabulous. Well done to her and you. Wishing her the best of luck for secondary smile

Twoseventhsaweasley Wed 15-Jul-15 16:36:39

Please could you link to your Adele songs thread? I have a singer too. I am very glad that he loves music so much but evidence I am not alone would be brilliant right now.

A huge well done to your DD1. She is a little star.

PandasRock Wed 15-Jul-15 23:16:32

Grrr. Just typed a lengthy reply, twosevenths, but lost it when searching for the link (bloody ipad!)

Here's the thread : www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs/1614117-AIBU-sort-of-lighthearted

Dd1 has always sung - she did so before she could talk, and has always had various 'tunes of the moment', often with emotions attached, so eg one tune when frustrated, another when happy etc.

Star: Yep, I know that feeling! But nothing I have done (which is not inconsiderable, actually) even comes close to our interventions with dd1 - neither in effort input, nor in outcomes achieved!

Twoseventhsaweasley Thu 16-Jul-15 22:01:23

Thank you very much Panda.

PolterGoose Thu 16-Jul-15 22:07:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 16-Jul-15 22:12:18

Hmm polter you are right of course music is a wonderful thing and we are surrounded by it every single day!

I do think I am going to regret the bluetooth speaker system that DP has helped Dd3 to install into her bedroom today though!!

The woofer is right above my head when I am in the living room!! I sense many more evening of wearing ear defenders wink

2boysnamedR Thu 16-Jul-15 23:09:10

That's lovely to hear. I hope we get there too one day. Right now getting anywhere would be nice. It's the begining of a new era for my little one and I would live a glimpse into his future.

I keep thinking about how far my other ds has come. It's rare you get a chance to stop, look around and enjoy the view. It doesn't look too bad when I do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now