Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Backward Chaining, can it be used to teach anything?

(3 Posts)
Ineedmorepatience Sun 12-Jul-15 17:19:25

I have tried in the past to teach Dd3 to backward chain unsuccessfully but today while practising her trumpet it became clear that her trumpet teacher has succeeded grin

So... could I teach her to say select the appropriate operation for a maths problem this way? If I for example showed her how I reach an answer and demonstrate how I reached it in small steps but backwards?

Just a thought as we are going to be HEing for a while and I am looking at alternate ways of teaching her the skills that the teachers have failed to teach her!

Thanks in advance smile

Tissie Sun 12-Jul-15 23:50:19

The problem with what you suggest is that your child will need a sound knowledge base in order to participate. Backwards chaining is more commonly used to teach practical activities such as getting dressed.
Maths problems are often difficult because the maths is buried in lots of words. One way to help is to have the problem typed out and well spaced. Your child has a highlighter and you read together the first line highlighting and numbers. Discuss if in this first line an oeration is required e.g. a farmer sells 5 boxes of apples at £20 pound per box. Then you can write down ths first operation. Carry on through the problem. Take your time and be patient, there is a lot to process.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 13-Jul-15 08:42:28

Aahh, yes I think I see the problem.

The highlighter idea is a good one and yes ahe does get bogged down with all the words. Particularly if there is an interest factor eg , she might start talking about growing apples in the example you used grin

When we start doing some formal work I will try it.

We will practice in a practical way first as we do the shopping and begin to re build her confidence!

Thankyou.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now