Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

No mention of ASD on end of year report - is that usual?

(17 Posts)
bbkl Thu 09-Jul-15 17:01:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bbkl Thu 09-Jul-15 17:12:46

shazzarooney99 Thu 09-Jul-15 17:44:57

The thing is why do they have to mention asd? you already know your child has it so why should they have to tell you, if you see what i mean?

bbkl Thu 09-Jul-15 19:54:16

WaftingWillberry Fri 10-Jul-15 10:08:40

I wonder whether the lack of mention of ASD is to do with the fact that a school report is a relatively 'public' document in that the child sees it (at our school the child has to sign it), relatives etc might expect to see it - ie people who may not know or understand about the diagnosis. So might be a blanket confidentiality policy or something.

Having said that it sounds like it could be worded a lot more positively, making reference to difficulties but still praising attempts to work on them and overcome them sad

Burmesemum Fri 10-Jul-15 10:56:14

My son is at the end of his Primary school years now and they have never mentioned once his ASD.

It's unusual though for a school report to sound so negative though. They usually try and put a positive slant on everything which can be equally annoying sometimes!

Glittery7 Fri 10-Jul-15 16:17:45

Ditto. My daughter is 6 and in mainstream. The school acknowledge her diagnosis but why bang on and on about it in the report or otherwise? As long as they are helping her (which they are) I don't want her status highlighted constantly. It's depressing and not warranted.

Ps: I work with the mother of DD's class teacher. She opening admits to reading her daughter's class reports on pupils.

Glittery7 Fri 10-Jul-15 16:19:09

Being overly negative and lacking glimmers of hope for future progress is wrong in a report on any pupil, SN's or otherwise IMO.

sweetteamum Fri 10-Jul-15 16:23:52

To be honest, the school my children go to have never wrote their diagnosis' on the end of year report. Which is fine as it's not needed on there.

Pooseyfrumpture Fri 10-Jul-15 16:23:54

I don't want her status highlighted constantly

I get that - but what I have just read is yet another report littered with references to lack of X, Y and Z - things listed in his diagnosis from a qualified medical professional saying that he cannot do - rounded off with yet another comment from the HT saying "With more determination, DS could overcome..."

Yes, clearly because with a little determination he could stop being autistic [bangs head]

sweetteamum Fri 10-Jul-15 17:57:29

What a ridiculous comment for the head to make. I do wonder if they actually read them or whether they just get a brief outline (orally), from the class teacher.

If you feel a reply is necessary, which generally, there's a separate letter with it, then I'd respond with something along the lines of "thank you for highlighting that you're finding it difficult to meet dc's needs. I'd be really interested in a meeting to discuss further. As you've highlighted the areas of difficulty, which are associated to the diagnosis, and unfortunately won't be 'grown out of', it would be great to meet and put some form of action plan in place for next school year.

PolterGoose Fri 10-Jul-15 19:15:01

PolterGoose Fri 10-Jul-15 19:16:02

Mollyweasley Fri 10-Jul-15 19:22:26

Yes diagnosis are not mentioned. In DS report it describes what support he gets, what are his strength and how he is managing his difficulties.It praises what he does well. I think this is because the DX should not define who a person is but should "give people clues" in understanding the child and attending to his needs. I agree though that there shouldn't dwell so much on all this negative stuff especially if they are aware of the reasons for them and should rather praise her for how she overcomes them.

BabeRuthless Mon 13-Jul-15 08:23:57

I was wondering this as we've just had ds' end of year report and its littered with references to his lack of concentration and how he's easily distracted, all things he "needs to work on". It's really frustrating because his teacher can be really understanding. The other day she let him do his work in a quiet little alcove because the noise in the class was too much for him. I'd figured we were all on the same page so I was a bit taken aback by his report. I don't know though, maybe my expectations for ds are too high sometimes.

bbkl Mon 13-Jul-15 09:50:38

Levismum Mon 13-Jul-15 17:26:50

I would be very concerned if my child's school didn't acknowledge my ds ASD/Adhd, in their Annual Report. It would highly unusual for someone with ASD not to in counter some difficulties in a mainstream setting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now