Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Should school be doing assembly mins silence for 7/7?

(5 Posts)
greener2 Wed 08-Jul-15 20:03:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shazzarooney99 Wed 08-Jul-15 20:24:54

I think they still have to learn about these things to be honest, they learn about world war 1 and world war 2 and do a silence for that and will have found out some of the details about all that. Im not so sure totally shielding a child from the news is a good thing to be honest,neuro typical or s,e,n they still have to live in the real world.

I would just reassure her that it wont happen whilst shes there.

SuiGeneris Wed 08-Jul-15 22:27:53

OP: DS (5) also came home talking about "people who lost their lives in London". I am not sure he understood and I agree with you that it is way too early to mention this-what good does it do to talk about terrorism with very little children who still believe in fairies and dragons?? Especially at an age when it is well-known that they will relate everything to themselves. And FWIIW we also shield him from the news and the paper etc.

greener2 Wed 08-Jul-15 23:03:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thatsthewayitgoes Thu 09-Jul-15 14:28:24

School told my 9yr old daughter who suffers extreme anxiety and is on waiting list for ASD assessment about the Tunisia killings when they held a minutes silence. She held it all in at school (as she does) but then we had the weekend from hell. I was furious with school who are usually so great. I don't think it's appropriate for 9 year olds to be told about this let alone those who are extra sensitive. Teacher apologised profusely- it wasn't her decision and she said it was one of the hardest things she's ever had to do. She admitted my daughter should not have been included and has put it other file that this must not happen again. Meanwhile dd now doesn't want to go on holiday, go to London etc. grrrrrr confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now